Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help me people... seriously. Pretty sure the below doesn't make sense... it is basically me raging in writing.

THE STORY (I will try and keep this short)
    I met this guy out in January, been seeing him since - FwB basically, though he says strange things about wanting me to come back to Italy with him, wanting to come home with me (NOT the issue, I get that we are casual and I don't want a relationship - I don't know why he says this but it doesn't matter)
    We talk entirely on whatsapp

I'm all by myself, flatmates at home, when I can see that he is ignoring me I flip - send him a **** loads of messages about how horrible he is being bla bla bla.
    Five minutes later... long grovelling apology. He will leave it a few hours then reply saying everything is fine, I need to chill, remember we are just friends etc.
    What I am saying to him to start with though, is right, and I mean it when I say it to him, but then I get so scared that he will just never reply and I wont see him again that I say sorry and we pretend it never happened.

I have even told him that we shouldn't see each other any more - I KNOW that the longer I see him the more it will hurt when it ends but I still have been unable to end it. It's not even that I am 'falling in love with him' or anything like that - honestly I don't think he's that great a guy, there is just something in me (A LOT worse when I am alone) which makes me snap when he is ignoring me and it hurts it really does. I cried for the first time in 2 years the other day over him, and I cried last night too.

I used to see him 3/4 times a week and he would always get a taxi here, eventually he said I should come to him sometimes and now we don't see each other as much, but when I do see him it is lovely - he is kind of dickish to me but I still like being with him.

Anyway the point of the above crap (sorry about that) How can I break it up with him? I'm pretty sure the root of all my problems is I am just so scared of being all alone, I figure that is all it can be. I don't want to put up with him any more and I HATE the way he makes me - when I am sending him these messages and stuff I feel like a psycho.

TL;DR

FwB guy does my head in
    when he ignores messages I have a go at him, 5 minutes later I will send a grovelling apology
    Know that for my sanity I need to stop seeing him but I just can't do it
    Don't even like him very much (do you think I am kidding myself?)
    Also I REALLY want to go to Italy

HELP

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation a few months ago.
    You need to stay away from him. As much as it hurts and you don't think you can. Eventually it will get easier and you'll wonder why you ever felt like that.

Block him on whatsapp and any other social network. Try your hardest to not talk to him and occupy yourself with other things, like work or friends.

ReputationRep:
    He's not turning you into a 'psycho'; he is simply behaving in a way that brings out dormant anger and neediness.
    I don't think you're quite sure yourself about your feelings. And that's the thing - a friends with benefits situation should not involve feelings. Most women can't separate their emotions from sex. In an age of feminism and progression women are almost encouraged to have casual sexual relations, and that's not something I object to, but it needs to be realised that most women will end up having feelings for someone they sleep with. The risk increases if you have sex multiple times and/or know the person well. A lot of women who have friends with benefits kid themselves that they can handle it when in reality they can't, and when they realise that the man doesn't have any feelings or isn't plying them with the attention they want they lash out at him.
    You say you don't want a relationship with him, but it is clear that you have feelings for him and want there to be an emotional element to this. I know that you can have feelings for someone but not want a relationship with them, but the fact still stands that you want an emotional connection. You also say that you're not quite sure if you even like him, and this is quite a pertinent point. Do you want him, or do you just want a guy to want you? Or is it a sign that maybe you're actually quite lonely or lacking something in your life?
    It seems that you're making this guy out to be the one in the wrong, but from what you've said I don't think you can really fault him. He has made the effort to go to yours on several occasions and you have not visited him nearly as much. It's possible he couldn't be bothered with someone who wouldn't make as much effort. And to be honest, as your friend with benefits it's not like he has loyalties to you.
    My advice would be to not get into any casual arrangements when you're feeling vulnerable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Becca)
    You need to stay away from him. As much as it hurts and you don't think you can. Eventually it will get easier and you'll wonder why you ever felt like that.

Block him on whatsapp and any other social network. Try your hardest to not talk to him and occupy yourself with other things, like work or friends.
    This is what I did OP when my relationship ended - granted it wasn't a FwB though. I still see her most days at college so it's harder to get over her. But yeah OP, just block him out of your life no matter how hard it is and no matter how much it takes, because you know that in the future it is all for the best.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder whether you are just enjoying the company and get annoyed at the lack of attention he is showing you, rather than having deep feelings for him. After all, everyone gets annoyed when someone else ignores them. It could be that you are attaching more significance to him than you are letting yourself admit, that you do actually like him a lot, but that isn't my perception of things.

I've got a friend who is really high-maintenance; if her boyfriend doesn't text back within half an hour or so she goes mad, even if he's at work or something. Over time she has gotten better but she just has high expectations of what he should be doing. I'm not saying this is you but it might be that you expect him to be better than he is, get angry about it when he doesn't meet your expectations, then blame him. This is a pattern I repeated with my boyfriend over and over again until I eventually realised that he was just useless, and I either had to learn to live with that and adjust my expectations or ditch him. Five years on, we are still going strong as I have learnt to chill out and just not worry about what he is and isn't doing (unless I'm really stressed, but now because it happens less often he is more understanding about my rages haha).

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that if you want to stay with him for whatever reason (you like him, you want to go to Italy etc) then you need to adjust your expectations and find other fun stuff to do that takes your mind off him not replying. If you can't do that, or aren't willing to, then ditch him. The best plan is this eventuality I would suggest is to write a letter with all your annoyances and feelings in it, and either give it to him (I wouldn't recommend this as it may end up being really harsh cos you are angry!) or use it to refer to when you break up with him. You may find that just writing the letter is cathartic and makes you feel better!

Anyway, good luck!

(Original post by Miss_Becca)

I don't think I can do it though, he is literally the only person I have seen in the last fortnight outside work. I am so desperately lonely at the moment I just can't do it. I know I need to but if I blocked him it would last minutes and I would then worry that I had missed a message from him.

(Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse)
    It seems that you're making this guy out to be the one in the wrong, but from what you've said I don't think you can really fault him. He has made the effort to go to yours on several occasions and you have not visited him nearly as much. It's possible he couldn't be bothered with someone who wouldn't make as much effort. And to be honest, as your friend with benefits it's not like he has loyalties to you.
    My advice would be to not get into any casual arrangements when you're feeling vulnerable.
    See in my (failed) effort to have a short OP I don't think I went into this enough - so many times I have offered to go round and he will either say yes and ignore me when I say when do you want me to come etc, or will ignore me. For example yesterday I told him I wasn't working Thursday or Friday so could come round one of those days and he ignored me, then at 4am this morning was telling me he 'needed' me. I would happily go and see him but 4 in the morning is a bit late for me.

(Original post by Louise1787)
    I wonder whether you are just enjoying the company and get annoyed at the lack of attention he is showing you, rather than having deep feelings for him. After all, everyone gets annoyed when someone else ignores them. It could be that you are attaching more significance to him than you are letting yourself admit, that you do actually like him a lot, but that isn't my perception of things.

I've got a friend who is really high-maintenance; if her boyfriend doesn't text back within half an hour or so she goes mad, even if he's at work or something. Over time she has gotten better but she just has high expectations of what he should be doing. I'm not saying this is you but it might be that you expect him to be better than he is, get angry about it when he doesn't meet your expectations, then blame him. This is a pattern I repeated with my boyfriend over and over again until I eventually realised that he was just useless, and I either had to learn to live with that and adjust my expectations or ditch him. Five years on, we are still going strong as I have learnt to chill out and just not worry about what he is and isn't doing (unless I'm really stressed, but now because it happens less often he is more understanding about my rages haha).

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that if you want to stay with him for whatever reason (you like him, you want to go to Italy etc) then you need to adjust your expectations and find other fun stuff to do that takes your mind off him not replying. If you can't do that, or aren't willing to, then ditch him. The best plan is this eventuality I would suggest is to write a letter with all your annoyances and feelings in it, and either give it to him (I wouldn't recommend this as it may end up being really harsh cos you are angry!) or use it to refer to when you break up with him. You may find that just writing the letter is cathartic and makes you feel better!

Anyway, good luck!
    I agree with your first bit - I really do not think I like him - I probably do more than I let on but that isn't saying much haha. And you are definitely right that I hate, hate, HATE knowing that he is ignoring me. I have never gone this crazy over a guy before, and I have never communicated with a guy in a way where I can see when they've read my messages and stuff before. I really do think that is the main issue.

I have already had a go at him a couple of times and he will just ignore me, then tell me to chill when I apologise, or something else stupid. I don't think he would understand properly if I gave him a letter as English isn't his first language and he isn't really that great at it. Last time he came over was after he'd been ignoring me for a few days and I asked him about it and he just brushed me off completely and didn't say anything about it, apart from 'I never ignore you'.

ReputationRep:
    He's not turning you into one, your turning yourself into one. Sending him loads of messages when he doesn't reply will make him not want to reply.

ReputationRep:
    How do you meet people who want to get into a FWB relationship?

A couple of days after I made this thread he contacted me telling me he 'needed' me and that he was desperate to see me etc, so I went in the middle of the night and saw him, took my work stuff with me as I had work the following day and had such a nice night with him. I think the reason I love his company so much is because he is so passionate and it is just intoxicating. <<< I would like to assure you all though that I do not have feelings for him!! (Just checked dates and I went and saw him on the night of the 13th April/morning of 14th)

Anyway that meeting ended when I had to leave for work, I had been up a while getting dressed etc, he had complained he hadn't been able to sleep (I APOLOGISED for that even though it's not my fault he invited me over etc) and he told me it was okay and he would speak to me soon.

I realised later in the day I had left something in his room so just messages him saying I'd left it and would pick it up next time I saw him - no reply but I didn't really expect one. Sent him a message that night, no reply. Okay I thought, I'll leave him a couple of days. Texted him again in the 18th still no reply. At this stage these texts are all very casual, just asking how he is, if he's going out etc - not all at once, at this stage I send him one text, and if he ignores me I will try again in a day or 2. On the 20th we have a small conversation, on the 25th he said Hello to me and then ignored my reply and since then nothing.

Baring in mind he has some of my stuff after a week or so of no contact I started to get pretty pissed off, texting him a bit more, still not rude, just asking why he was ignoring me. Though I don't want to be with him or anything him ignoring me still hurt - really bad, as he is someone I've been physically intimate with for nearly 6 months. I've been home a lot recently and haven't really bothered with him, just sent the occasional message to which he never replies. Not sure when but I started getting really angry, and kept on asking him when I could have my stuff back, let him know towards the end of last week that I was back in uni this past weekend I wanted my stuff back basically. No replies so Friday night when I am back at uni I got absolutely mental at him, sending him a torrent of abuse and basically letting out all the hurt etc that I have inside me. I said to him - and this is true, that I have show him nothing but kindness. I told him I didn't understand why he suddenly acted like he hated me when all I'd ever done was suck his ****. after A LOT of messages he blocked me on whatsapp so I began texting him instead - I just wanted him to say something, anything SO badly. He replied after I started texting him just saying he will bring my stuff over for me, bye. so I told him I wouldn't be here this week, so he said he would bring my stuff next week, though one item he is refusing to give me back, as apparently I have 'lots of money' (this item is a freaking PLATE. Why he is so eager to keep it I do not know.)

Anyway after all this I was drained, I cried for a long time and I never really cry, didn't sleep at all before work and found it hard to keep it together at work. After work I travelled back home, which is a 4 and a half hour journey so calmed me down, and I started feeling really ashamed that I had been so mean, so just sent him a message telling him sorry and to forget about bringing me my stuff and that I wont contact him anymore, though (and I hate myself for this, seriously I don't know my problem) I told him if he ever wanted to be friends again he could just contact me. And what I hate is I KNOW that even though the relationship we shared purely was of benefit to him and he pretty much treated me like **** I would be there in a second if he wanted or needed me. I feel like he will ever talk to me again and I am just so sad things ended so horribly.

I'm not angry any more or any sadder than I usually am, I feel a bit numb really, drained of emotion.

I don't even remember why I started this, I was going to ask something but it has gone from my mind. I think typing everything out does help me though. Do you think I went too far by having a go at him? And also why do you think he suddenly started hating me so much???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't even remember why I started this, I was going to ask something but it has gone from my mind. I think typing everything out does help me though. Do you think I went too far by having a go at him? And also why do you think he suddenly started hating me so much???
    I don't think you went to far. He has your stuff at his house and you simply said that you wanted it back - he didn't reply to you, which essentially said that he doesn't care about you enough to return your possessions to you. By ignoring you, cutting off contact by blocking you on Whatsapp, and being a **** in how he responded to your text, this guy is clearly a Class A jerk.

I couldn't tell you why he started acting like this. Chances are, he now likes another girl and wants to cut you out entirely. This is the problem with FWB, it's extremely difficult to cut someone out after having slept with them repeatedly. You let him be physically intimate with you, and he thought that "no strings attached" meant that he didn't have to be a decent human being in return. This is clear by him ignoring you for days, and saying he "needed" you at 4am. This is absolutely bogus, and even if he was simply using you for sex, he didn't have to be such a **** about it. He didn't "need" you. He was lonely and knew that you would drop anything for him, despite him not giving a damn.

This guy is clearly an ******* and you're better off without him. Block his number on your phone so that you don't get tempted if he ever tries to contact you again. You can do better than this dickwad.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my ex were sort of like that. She's Korean and is in Korea. We split up but still talked literally every day, also on whatsapp. She openly admitted that her feelings always changed - sometimes liked me and sometimes didn't. Only difference is we weren't shagpals, we were a serious couple. Anyway we still talk now but I'm finally bored of it.

Stop talking to him. I still really like my ex but it would be a whole lot easier if she just made a concrete decision and decided one way or the other. I've been in an odd limbo for months now. It's annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    A couple of days after I made this thread he contacted me telling me he 'needed' me and that he was desperate to see me etc, so I went in the middle of the night and saw him, took my work stuff with me as I had work the following day and had such a nice night with him. I think the reason I love his company so much is because he is so passionate and it is just intoxicating. <<< I would like to assure you all though that I do not have feelings for him!! (Just checked dates and I went and saw him on the night of the 13th April/morning of 14th)

Anyway that meeting ended when I had to leave for work, I had been up a while getting dressed etc, he had complained he hadn't been able to sleep (I APOLOGISED for that even though it's not my fault he invited me over etc) and he told me it was okay and he would speak to me soon.

I realised later in the day I had left something in his room so just messages him saying I'd left it and would pick it up next time I saw him - no reply but I didn't really expect one. Sent him a message that night, no reply. Okay I thought, I'll leave him a couple of days. Texted him again in the 18th still no reply. At this stage these texts are all very casual, just asking how he is, if he's going out etc - not all at once, at this stage I send him one text, and if he ignores me I will try again in a day or 2. On the 20th we have a small conversation, on the 25th he said Hello to me and then ignored my reply and since then nothing.

Baring in mind he has some of my stuff after a week or so of no contact I started to get pretty pissed off, texting him a bit more, still not rude, just asking why he was ignoring me. Though I don't want to be with him or anything him ignoring me still hurt - really bad, as he is someone I've been physically intimate with for nearly 6 months. I've been home a lot recently and haven't really bothered with him, just sent the occasional message to which he never replies. Not sure when but I started getting really angry, and kept on asking him when I could have my stuff back, let him know towards the end of last week that I was back in uni this past weekend I wanted my stuff back basically. No replies so Friday night when I am back at uni I got absolutely mental at him, sending him a torrent of abuse and basically letting out all the hurt etc that I have inside me. I said to him - and this is true, that I have show him nothing but kindness. I told him I didn't understand why he suddenly acted like he hated me when all I'd ever done was suck his ****. after A LOT of messages he blocked me on whatsapp so I began texting him instead - I just wanted him to say something, anything SO badly. He replied after I started texting him just saying he will bring my stuff over for me, bye. so I told him I wouldn't be here this week, so he said he would bring my stuff next week, though one item he is refusing to give me back, as apparently I have 'lots of money' (this item is a freaking PLATE. Why he is so eager to keep it I do not know.)

Anyway after all this I was drained, I cried for a long time and I never really cry, didn't sleep at all before work and found it hard to keep it together at work. After work I travelled back home, which is a 4 and a half hour journey so calmed me down, and I started feeling really ashamed that I had been so mean, so just sent him a message telling him sorry and to forget about bringing me my stuff and that I wont contact him anymore, though (and I hate myself for this, seriously I don't know my problem) I told him if he ever wanted to be friends again he could just contact me. And what I hate is I KNOW that even though the relationship we shared purely was of benefit to him and he pretty much treated me like **** I would be there in a second if he wanted or needed me. I feel like he will ever talk to me again and I am just so sad things ended so horribly.

I'm not angry any more or any sadder than I usually am, I feel a bit numb really, drained of emotion.

You really need to stop seeing this guy, once you got your stuff back, cut all contact with him because he is ruining your life.

Thanks to people who posted after my last post... made me feel much better about myself, really did help me realise I was not doing anything wrong. I'm not even bothered about my stuff any more, I have cut contact with him. I am not strong enough to block his number or anything though, if he wants to see me again I know I will be pulled back in in a second. Hopefully (probably) that will not happen though, as I understand that whatever was going on was not healthy and that it effected me badly.

ReputationRep:

As I read through this message, i've been trying not to scream at my computer screen. you need someone to restrain you, girl. This guy has got you right where he wants you, in the palm of his hands. You are there whenever he wants you, for him to just drop you and ignore you at all other possible times (most probably sleeping with some other girl), and not only do you message and message and message him (it is a known fact that this will just make him think you are a psycho and ignore you even more - though i know it's a continuous cycle ie. *male ignores female- female sends countless messages - male gets scared and ignores even more - female sends even more messages.... etc*), but you then APOLOGISE for messaging him which makes you look like a pushover whos wrapped around his finger. This guy is playing you and youre falling for every trick, and pushing him further and further away in the process. And i think you definately do like him, maybe because he ignores you- its a known fact people often want what they can't have - when someone ignores us it angers us, they stay in our heads much to our dismay and we want them more. You firstly need to be truthful to yourself: you really do like this guy. you most probably have pushed him away already, but if not...

There are two things you can do in this situation. I propose you:

A) No blocking or deleting of numbers or 'whatsapps' whatever that is. Just willpower. This means not only NOT STARTING A CONVERSATION, but ignoring all his messages. what really angered me when reading your post was that you say you left it a couple days, then sent him another message, then a couple more days, etc.... WHY DID YOU NOT STOP AFTER THE FIRST MESSAGE? He's treating you like ****, making you want him more and does he really deserve you to be sending him thousands of messages (and the 'i left someone i need it back' is the oldest excuse, even if you can;'t admit it to yourself, you do like this guy). then apologising for sending all these messages, that makes you look even more creepy. It reminded me of this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaGFV0YJg-0 You have done all the 'what not to do's' basically. All i can say is keep him on whatsapp, his number, etc etc, but do not send anything. not just for a couple days, for a long long while. If you give him about a week he will probably message you. The trick is ignoring him is making him want you, just as he's done to you. But DO NOT reply to this, as tempting as it is. Or the next one you recieve off him, or the one after that. Play him at his own game. After a while you can send a reply, but something really vague, if he asks you to meet up DON'T. do exactly what he does to you for as long as you possibly can and the relationship will be in your hands.

B) if you can't be bothered waiting a while without texting or replying , or think it is impossible to do, the only other option you have got is to delete him off everything possiblle and just hope to never see him again.

I'm sorry if my reply sounds harsh but, if you continue the way things are, you are gonna get seriously hurt.
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    Thanks to people who posted after my last post... made me feel much better about myself, really did help me realise I was not doing anything wrong. I'm not even bothered about my stuff any more, I have cut contact with him. I am not strong enough to block his number or anything though, if he wants to see me again I know I will be pulled back in in a second. Hopefully (probably) that will not happen though, as I understand that whatever was going on was not healthy and that it effected me badly.
    Delete his number, seriously? if you don't want to get pulled into this, also have the courage to say no.

I think I am pretty much a lost cause... the other day I messaged him saying I actually would like my stuff back (nice but too the point I didn't ask him anything etc) an I knew even when I was sending it that I wasn't doing it to get my stuff back but to see if he would reply.

He did and has told me he is on holiday but says he will see me in two weeks 'muak'

which is what he always used to say. So I don;t know if he will contact me again when he is back but I jut know I am going to let myself down and end up getting hurt even more a month or two down the line if he asks to seemed. There is something about him I just cannot let go of, though I think the root of the problem may be something else.

I have noticed a pattern which has developed since I started uni really (which is basically when I started getting attention from guys etc) that I NEED to have a guy who I am doing something with, even if it is just chatting. For example I was seeing a guy from September - December, fizzled out over Christmas and was really sad, met the guy this thread is about and forgot about him really, but after we had our argument we started texting again etc, then as soon as he stopped texting me I messaged the other guy. I don't know if it is attention I am craving, as although this it what seems like the logical answer to me I don't really see myself as someone who likes attention.

ReputationRep:
    It definitely sounds as if you need some kind of human connection as it makes you feel better about yourself. I do honestly think you need to spend some time by yourself, get to know yourself and learn to love yourself without anything else in the mix.

(Original post by Delain)
    It definitely sounds as if you need some kind of human connection as it makes you feel better about yourself. I do honestly think you need to spend some time by yourself, get to know yourself and learn to love yourself without anything else in the mix.
    The odd thing is I LOVE my own company. A couple of weeks ago I spent an entire week in my room in halls and only left to go to the toilet/eat. In fact I've noticed I am enjoying my own company more and more recently - any opportunity I get I will go home for the week, hich I don't understand because I LOVE my flatmates, yet I just feel the constant need to get away from them at the moment.

I do have extremely low self confidence though and poor self image, so agree maybe attention from guys just makes me feel better about myself? I don't think I will ever love myself lol,sad but true

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.