Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am writing for my sister. She is an international student outside EU. Will the uni take it badly if she's sponsored for only part of her course and can prove she has enough money to add on top of that for only the first 2 years not the final 2. Because she has emailed to say in the first 2 years our parents will be finding more sources of money and also she's hoping to get some funding from the university, which she has been told was not possible. Will uni take it badly that she might have difficulty paying for her final year and hence remove the offer or will they keep the offer thinking if she's sponsored by a recognised organisation already and also has money for the first 2 years already in her account maybe she'll have enough money by the end of 2nd year to complete her 3rd year at least (which will give her a Beng if she cant finance her final year leading to Meng)?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It probably depends on the university and how over-subscribed the course is.

If the course has had too few applicants, then it might be in the uni's interests to take your sister on the grounds that two years' fees are better than none. Although this does presume that completion stats are less important than money, which is another thing which can vary between unis and courses. On the other hand, if the course is popular and they can easily fill the places with people who have guaranteed funding, then the offer might be withdrawn.

At my Masters uni, one of the requirements for enrolment was to explain how you were going to fund yourself for the course. If you were unable to do that, then the uni withdrew the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    It probably depends on the university and how over-subscribed the course is.

If the course has had too few applicants, then it might be in the uni's interests to take your sister on the grounds that two years' fees are better than none. Although this does presume that completion stats are less important than money, which is another thing which can vary between unis and courses. On the other hand, if the course is popular and they can easily fill the places with people who have guaranteed funding, then the offer might be withdrawn.

At my Masters uni, one of the requirements for enrolment was to explain how you were going to fund yourself for the course. If you were unable to do that, then the uni withdrew the offer.
    Yeah that seems logical. And if she is allowed to enroll despite having said she cant provide proof of funding for all the years but parents are working towards getting the money for the later 2 years, does that mean the uni won't care anymore about her ability to pay and will treat her like any other student or will the uni want to edge her out/make her switch to cheaper course within the same faculty the moment they think she will not be able to pay all and have applicants with guaranteed funding wishing to enter directly into 2nd/3rd years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceidea)
    Yeah that seems logical. And if she is allowed to enroll despite having said she cant provide proof of funding for all the years but parents are working towards getting the money for the later 2 years, does that mean the uni won't care anymore about her ability to pay and will treat her like any other student or will the uni want to edge her out/make her switch to cheaper course within the same faculty the moment they think she will not be able to pay all and have applicants with guaranteed funding wishing to enter directly into 2nd/3rd years?
    TBH you're really asking me/us to second guess what a specific uni will do for a specific course in a particular set of non-standard financial circumstances. I don't think there's any meaningful opinion I can offer - it really is just a case of waiting to see what the uni says and does.

I wish your sister good luck. We see many students - both home and overseas - who are offered much-wanted places and then find that they can't take them up because they can't raise the funding. It's pretty gutting to read about. I really hope things work out for your sister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    TBH you're really asking me/us to second guess what a specific uni will do for a specific course in a particular set of non-standard financial circumstances. I don't think there's any meaningful opinion I can offer - it really is just a case of waiting to see what the uni says and does.

I wish your sister good luck. We see many students - both home and overseas - who are offered much-wanted places and then find that they can't take them up because they can't raise the funding. It's pretty gutting to read about. I really hope things work out for your sister.
    Yea I understand your point. Thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.