Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My perspective on Thatcher.

I profoundly disagree with many of her policies (the monetarism experiment of 79-81, Community Charge, Section 28) while agreeing with others (the IRA, the Falklands, the Big Bang and Cruise).

However, taking the long view, I do believe she'll be seen as a very significant historical figure, a person of fame (not in the celebrity sense of being well known, but fame in the sense of Caesar, Alexander of Macedon, etc). And I do believe her tenaciousness and determination will be admired.

In particular, I think she fits into a fairly unique class of politicians that would include Alexander Hamilton, Andrew Jackson, Richard Nixon and John Howard.

All came from humble beginnings and religious non-conformist backgrounds (Presbyterian, Quaker, Methodist, Huguenot), all were lawyers (many forget Thatcher was a practicing barrister for a period), all overcome considerable social handicaps to rise to the pinnacle of political power, and all were reviled in their lifetime by the patrician class and were hugely controversial.

I would say Hamilton does stand out amongst that bunch, but there are very significant parrallels nonetheless and so I think it's fair to accord Thatcher her due as a historical figure.

ReputationRep:
    agreed

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.