Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm taking a gap year before uni and planning going to work and travel in either Canada or NZ for around 6 months. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which is 'better' and why, like perks/downsides of each since I need to start deciding to sort out a working holiday visa!

ReputationRep:
    I think your decision might already be made for you.....unfortunately all the Canadian working holiday visas for British and Irish citizens have already been taken for this year's cycle. Applications won't open again until Dec/Jan at least. If you're wanting to get one for New Zealand however, then you can apply year round online, as there are an unlimited number of places. You'll most likely receive it within the week too, it's a really quick application process.

If you've never travelled before and are travelling on your own, I would highly recommend New Zealand for your gap year, and I say this after spending my own post-sixth form college gap year in NZ and now am living in Canada (post-university gap year, but have been here now 18 months!) September is a good time to head out to NZ too; it's coming up to Spring and you'll be able to have Christmas in summer!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.