Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How have people who are doing law at undergrad level or as a graduate diploma realised that they will have an interest in something they've never studied before?

I am in my first year of a history degree at the moment and i'm considering doing the GDL at the end of the three years - I wanted to think about it now because i know it'll be better if i have some work experience etc over these years, but what i'm starting to wonder is how I even know that I will enjoy the course?

I'm so worried i'll end up halfway through the diploma and then just hating it, i've done some legal work experience and i enjoyed it, but it didn't convince me in terms of the fact that obviously from sitting in a court room I didn't properly grasp what I'd have to study at degree level.

any advice on those of you who made the decision to do the degree in terms of how you knew it was the area you wanted to go into?

ReputationRep:
    It just suited my way of thinking.

You can read some introductory law books like Letters to a Law Student -- see if it interests you.

ReputationRep:
    People don't pursue the GDL because they enjoy law. They do it because they want to be lawyers, so firstly you need to decide whether or not you want to enter the legal profession

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoseSmallWinBig)
    People don't pursue the GDL because they enjoy law. They do it because they want to be lawyers, so firstly you need to decide whether or not you want to enter the legal profession
    but surely if you want to go into a profession you'd want to have an interest in the subject? i know some people just do it for the money but i don't believe that every person who has applied for law has just done it for that

ReputationRep:
    Before deciding to commit to a law degree I read a bunch of law textbooks to see if I found them interesting. Read a random textbook on Contract, Tort, or Criminal Law from your uni library - if you enjoy it then you will enjoy studying law.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.