Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all I'm a btec level 3 science student and need some advice about what course to do at university. The options are chemistry or pharmacy.

I've always wanted to be a pharmacist but have recently been put off with the increasing amount of people becoming pharmacists therefore I don't want to do a degree in pharmacy and then be unemployed.

Chemistry has always been my favourite science and I enjoy doing it. I also think this would allow me to have more career choices. I would like to teach chemistry if I did this degree because I enjoy to help others which I recently learnt after getting put into a btec group with me being the only girl in it.

So now I don't know which would be best for me. Any related advice would be deeply appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry. Make meth, sell firstly in streets then make an empire. As for this idea, original. As of right now, it's fool proof I'll get back to you on how it ends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maarya Islam)
    Hi all I'm a btec level 3 science student and need some advice about what course to do at university. The options are chemistry or pharmacy.

I've always wanted to be a pharmacist but have recently been put off with the increasing amount of people becoming pharmacists therefore I don't want to do a degree in pharmacy and then be unemployed.

Chemistry has always been my favourite science and I enjoy doing it. I also think this would allow me to have more career choices. I would like to teach chemistry if I did this degree because I enjoy to help others which I recently learnt after getting put into a btec group with me being the only girl in it.

So now I don't know which would be best for me. Any related advice would be deeply appreciated
    There are far, far too many people in community pharmacy.

Community pharmacy is also (in the view of one pharmacist I've worked with, and one of the C+D bloggers) far removed from the actual degree.

If you love chemistry, you [I]certainly[/I won't be applying it in community pharmacy. I honestly believe that someone with a copy of the BNF and a decent knowledge of medicine could pass as a pharmacist (at least for a day or two) without anyone realising.

In sum: pharmacy job prospects (at least community pharmacy) are pretty naff atm (too many grads, not enough jobs) and community pharmacy doesn't involve any science at all, really. One pharmacist I know doesn't even think it should be a degree, more of a vocational course! Community, not industry, obv.

Chemistry will give you better job prospects and the chance to actually apply science.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that worries me about doing a chemistry degree is that I have previously failed my a level exam therefore am currently doing btec level 3 applied science

ReputationRep:
    omg im in the same position!
    I have offers in pharmacy for LJMU and huddersfield but i really want to decline them for chemistry because i heard pharmacy jobs are not good :c

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacy job prospects certainly aren't good right now. If you want a career focused more on the chemistry side I'd go for a chemistry degree. It is worth noting though that community pharmacy isn't the only pharmacy career option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maarya Islam)
    The only thing that worries me about doing a chemistry degree is that I have previously failed my a level exam therefore am currently doing btec level 3 applied science
    Have you checked the entry requirements for pharmacy and chemistry degrees? That might be your deciding factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandasareamazing)
    omg im in the same position!
    I have offers in pharmacy for LJMU and huddersfield but i really want to decline them for chemistry because i heard pharmacy jobs are not good :c
    That's the same thing that worries me but I've still got another year doing level 3

ReputationRep:
    Community Pharmacy is the pits in all honesty, I should know, I've worked in it for 5 years. It's not really much different to being a Manager of TK Max store or a McDonald's, as its really only a trade. However, you don't get a criminal record if you make a mistake in McDonald's, unlike Pharmacy!

Forget Pharmacy altogether, it's a dead end "profession" that's going nowhere and will soon be put out of its misery when the Multiples force through Remote Supervision legislation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoganballs)
    Community Pharmacy is the pits in all honesty, I should know, I've worked in it for 5 years. It's not really much different to being a Manager of TK Max store or a McDonald's, as its really only a trade. However, you don't get a criminal record if you make a mistake in McDonald's, unlike Pharmacy!

Forget Pharmacy altogether, it's a dead end "profession" that's going nowhere and will soon be put out of its misery when the Multiples force through Remote Supervision legislation.
    Wow I thought I was disillusioned. Although the pharmacist job market is awful right now many pharmacists have great jobs in which they use clinicla skills and/or their scientific knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I could cope with chemistry even though I failed it at as level?

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming from an extremely bias area since I am currently studying pharmacy.

The thing with pharmacy I've realised is that it's extremely edged towards therapeutics - basically Human Biology and a mixture of chemistry .

The decision is really all in your preference. Chemistry is just going to be full on chemistry! Whereas pharmacy has the best of both worlds.
    I decided on pharmacy since I wanted to work with patients - basically keep the human work element there. Problem with chemistry, you're most likely to be working in a lab.

However, in terms of job prospects I'm pushed towards pharmacy, for the simple reason that it's a vocational degree. At the end you're going to be a pharmacist. The only thing dependent on you or another person getting the job is how you can present yourself during interviews and how you look on paper.

Chemistry, it's depends on where you want to study. Plenty of students but it's more to it than just having a degree and you'll definitely get the job you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shonaT)
    Wow I thought I was disillusioned. Although the pharmacist job market is awful right now many pharmacists have great jobs in which they use clinicla skills and/or their scientific knowledge.
    You lot are so naive it's, unreal- ill put it down to the folly of youth! The vast majority of Pharmacists end up slogging away in Multiple sweat shops under terrible working conditions. A small minority end up in the niche roles you are thinking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoganballs)
    You lot are so naive it's, unreal- ill put it down to the folly of youth! The vast majority of Pharmacists end up slogging away in Multiple sweat shops under terrible working conditions. A small minority end up in the niche roles you are thinking about.
    I think I have enough experience and know enough pharmacists to know what it's like. Also if you put your mind to it you can use your clinical skills in any community pharmacy.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.