Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused... Why is Heriot Watt highly ranked?
    It's ranked the 5th after imperial college! WTF? I'm i missing something?
    Is it due to the percentage of students achieving 2:1 or higher??

ReputationRep:
    League tables are odd like that. The Guardian tables have value added score which skews the rankings in favor of universities with lower entry requirements. Having said that Heriot Watt is a good university for chemeng, especially when specializing in petroleum engineering as they have excellent industry contacts.

In terms of prestige however it's definitely not competing with Imperial. An indicator of reputation (overall, rather than department specific) is the average UCAS point entry tariff.

ReputationRep:
    So, to keep it blunt! It's not worth going there?

Also out of these Uni's which would you prefer?
    Heriot watt (might as well), Birmingham, Newcastle or Manchester.

Which Uni do you attend??

ReputationRep:
    They're all pretty good tbh, if you want to go into petroleum then Heriot Watt (or so I hear) would be the best option.
    I hear Manchester has brand new facilities and they also have a very good international reputation.
    Birmingham and Newcastle are pretty similar in reputation, at least as far I know.
    It's hard to say since I haven't visited any of these but I'd probably go for Manchester.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you since i'm still waiting to choose a firm for chemeng 2013, I have Nottingham, Sheffield, Loughborough as my top 3. Probably will firm notts but I'm thinking i'll be eligible for adjustment and might give Edinburgh a go (see if they have any scottish/EU places left ).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.