The Student Room Group

What can I do?

I'm 16 years old and never really hugged or gotten a close friendship with a boy let alone had a relationship with one... Bottom line is I'm pretty damn lonely as all my friendship group have long term boyfriends and choose their other half ALWAYS over friendship time. I go to an all girls school and have done for quite a few years now so I haven't had the chance to meet any new people- most definitely not boys. I've tried clubs and young people schemes but I NEVER develop anything more than an acquaintance- most of which don't continue the getting to know each other stage.
I don't have a really close friend, you know the type you can sit there and talk to about anything and know everything about you.
Really this is just about being lonely and fed up...

Can anyone help out there? 99% of the time I really wish I'd have gone to a mixed school even though mine is quite good :/
I think society has pushed us to try and have relationships younger and younger. Very few of my friends who got into relationships at that age are still together now (I'm 21) so whilst it sucks (first time I did anything with a girl was when I was 18) you just have to think about the future, I think. If you're planning on going to university then you'll meet new people there with little effort. If you don't want to go to university, you'll meet people through work and then you'll probably meet their siblings..

Basically, in my opinion, I think you should try not to think too much about it. I wish I concentrated more in school on schoolwork, so my best advice to anyone at 16 is to keep at it and focus on your own future.
Original post by Jonnyisonfire
I think society has pushed us to try and have relationships younger and younger. Very few of my friends who got into relationships at that age are still together now (I'm 21) so whilst it sucks (first time I did anything with a girl was when I was 18) you just have to think about the future, I think. If you're planning on going to university then you'll meet new people there with little effort. If you don't want to go to university, you'll meet people through work and then you'll probably meet their siblings..

Basically, in my opinion, I think you should try not to think too much about it. I wish I concentrated more in school on schoolwork, so my best advice to anyone at 16 is to keep at it and focus on your own future.

Totally agree. It's (mostly) nice to have a girlfriend/boyfriend but you shouldn't feel as though you ought to have one, or that you need one.

Besides if those munters on the Jeremy Kyle show can find someone to bang you sure as hell can. Don't worry about it.
Reply 3
Maybe if you made some new girlfriends it would help you out?
Does your school have any clubs or anything that could you join to meet new like-minded people?
It can feel like you're the only person who's never had a relationship, but at 16, there are still plenty of people like you who haven't. I didn't meet anyone I liked enough to want to be with (and who liked me back) until I got to university, and he's the only person I've ever kissed. It's probably unusual for all of your friendship group except you to be in long term relationships (and generally people don't tend to stay with the person they were with at 16 anyway - only one of my friends has done) and it might help if you did make friends with some other people. You say you've tried going to clubs and stuff and not had any joy; keep trying because there will be people out there who you get on with enough to become friends with!

And with regard to boys, don't go looking for a relationship and try not to see every boy you get on with as a potential boyfriend, because you could end up going out with someone for the sake of going out with someone. I knew I didn't want to do that, so when at 15 a male friend asked me out, even though I wanted to know what it was like to be in a relationship, I said no because I knew I didn't feel anything for him romantically and probably never would. Relationships are nice and when with the right person are fantastic, but you don't need one. It'll happen when the time and the person are both right!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending