Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking at flats in Edinburgh, and most of the ones online I'm interested in seem to be letted by Southside Property Management.

I can only find 2 reviews online (one which was very negative and offputing and the other which seemed a bit phoney)

Does anyone have any knowledge of this company? I really don't want to end up renting from another bad company.

Also, where would I find private landlords flats for rent? I only seem to be able to find mainly letting companies on accomodation and renting websites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisruptor)
    I've been looking at flats in Edinburgh, and most of the ones online I'm interested in seem to be letted by Southside Property Management.

I can only find 2 reviews online (one which was very negative and offputing and the other which seemed a bit phoney)

Does anyone have any knowledge of this company? I really don't want to end up renting from another bad company.

Also, where would I find private landlords flats for rent? I only seem to be able to find mainly letting companies on accomodation and renting websites.
    I've never heard anything particularly bad about them (and their flats tend to look ok when searching) - they also don't charge tenant fees. They're no Grant Management anyway.

Re: private landlords. Gumtree, classifieds, word of mouth. Sometimes private landlords will instruct a letting agency to find their tenants which means it will appear you are dealing with a letting agency but it will transpire that after the agreement is signed off the agency bugger off and you deal directly with the landlord.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    I've never heard anything particularly bad about them (and their flats tend to look ok when searching) - they also don't charge tenant fees. They're no Grant Management anyway.
    Southside used to be the only agency not charging tenant fees. Due to new leglisation it is now prohibited to charge such fees, so the 'no fees' thing is the same for all agencies (and private landlords) nowadays.

I viewed a flat once that was managed by Southside, the flat looked okay, but in the end I decided to choose another flat with a private landlord. I've found my current flat through www.citylets.co.uk, it's mostly agencies, but there are some private landlord listings on there as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moondancer26)
    Southside used to be the only agency not charging tenant fees. Due to new leglisation it is now prohibited to charge such fees, so the 'no fees' thing is the same for all agencies (and private landlords) nowadays.
    It's been illegal in Scotland for years - but I've paid fees to every place I've rented from. If it's the difference between getting somewhere and not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    It's been illegal in Scotland for years - but I've paid fees to every place I've rented from. If it's the difference between getting somewhere and not...
    I'm particularly referring to this change in legislation from November 2012. Have you rented anywhere since then? I'm just wondering if it has made a difference.

If you have evidence of the fees you paid you should be able to claim back any illegal fees (admin, credit check, etc) you've paid in the last five years, even if you no longer live in that property. There's more info on the Shelter website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moondancer26)
    I'm particularly referring to this change in legislation from November 2012. Have you rented anywhere since then? I'm just wondering if it has made a difference.

If you have evidence of the fees you paid you should be able to claim back any illegal fees (admin, credit check, etc) you've paid in the last five years, even if you no longer live in that property. There's more info on the Shelter website.
    Like the link says, it was just a clarification of the existing legislation. I strongly suspect that most agents in Edinburgh still charge fees and will continue to do so (and like I say, you don't argue about stuff like that if you want to be sure of getting the place you want to live). But I am aware of my legal entitlement

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.