Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm in college at the moment and I have pretty much no friends. I'm not friends with my friends from secondary school anymore because they've all moved on and made new friends at their sixth forms/colleges. I went to college by myself and everyone there had friends from their secondary school and even now (in the A2 year) they still hang around with those people. Also people have friends outside of college (either from their secondary school or work). I tried to meet up with my friends from secondary school but it was just awkward because we have nothing in common anymore.

I'm the only girl in two out of my three classes and whilst it's nice chatting to guys I don't have much in common with any of them to be honest. Conversations are either small talk or them just talking about themselves for twenty minutes.

I get so jealous on Facebook. My best friend is even shyer than me and she's going away with a bunch of friends this weekend and I'm so jealous. She's in an all girl class and I introduced her to one of her current friends and now they're both in this new group.

I haven't been out with friends since February. Even then it was shopping with my best friend who doesn't talk to me anymore.

Does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I personally have made friends through nutella. however, in your situation, the best way is to join clubs, make more effort, maybe even check out that book, how to make friends and influence people, that everyone says that is very effective. im going now to let the people with good advice take over, but, I hope it helped anyway.

I've been in your situation lol. What I did was literally throw myself into my alevels and worked my butt off so I could start again at uni. Luckily I had mates outside of college but I was never able to tell ANYONE how I felt, so at the time it was so alienating. For me it really taught me to enjoy my own company and spend time with family. Also encouraged me to buckle down at school. It sucks but try and take something positive from it if you're able.

ReputationRep:
    If you've applied to university next year, then its best to focus on your final exams now and concentrate on getting the grades for university, so you'll have a wonderful opportunity to meet new people, who will be in the same position as you.

Are there any clubs or societies in your college? If so, try joining one, even if you feel uncomfortable, it'll be really good to challenge yourself to talk to people. If not, I know this might seem difficult, try going to the common room or the place where most students hang out; you might again feel uncomfortable, but there's sure to be someone you can have a little chat with and soon you'll find more people starting to talk around you.

I always say Facebook is a big evil, especially in college years, as it can intensify feelings of social alienation. Deactivate it, as it'll give you more confidence to approach people; and not to constantly compare yourself with other people, who seemingly have such an active social life.

I've tried my best to adopt a mantra that the best thing to do is really focus on doing the best in A-Levels, so I can place myself in a like minded environment in the future. I haven't been out with "friends" since last January or so, I've only kept in touch with one or two friends whom I am very close with, because I really don't see the point of building fake friendships. I thought I had a good number of friends, but in college and sixth form, I think you really begin to see the true nature of some.

Keep your chin up, and remember college is not the only environment to find friends. Try volunteer somewhere in your local community, or join local sports or hobby clubs. And always, have a smile and try your best to keep yourself as approachable as possible.

Good luck, you always have us on TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    If you've applied to university next year, then its best to focus on your final exams now and concentrate on getting the grades for university, so you'll have a wonderful opportunity to meet new people, who will be in the same position as you.

Are there any clubs or societies in your college? If so, try joining one, even if you feel uncomfortable, it'll be really good to challenge yourself to talk to people. If not, I know this might seem difficult, try going to the common room or the place where most students hang out; you might again feel uncomfortable, but there's sure to be someone you can have a little chat with and soon you'll find more people starting to talk around you.

I always say Facebook is a big evil, especially in college years, as it can intensify feelings of social alienation. Deactivate it, as it'll give you more confidence to approach people; and not to constantly compare yourself with other people, who seemingly have such an active social life.

I've tried my best to adopt a mantra that the best thing to do is really focus on doing the best in A-Levels, so I can place myself in a like minded environment in the future. I haven't been out with "friends" since last January or so, I've only kept in touch with one or two friends whom I am very close with, because I really don't see the point of building fake friendships. I thought I had a good number of friends, but in college and sixth form, I think you really begin to see the true nature of some.

Keep your chin up, and remember college is not the only environment to find friends. Try volunteer somewhere in your local community, or join local sports or hobby clubs. And always, have a smile and try your best to keep yourself as approachable as possible.

Good luck, you always have us on TSR

this is the best possible reply a mon avis!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeMoiLove)
    this is the best possible reply a mon avis!
    Glad I could help

I really think a lot of students at college/sixth form undergo this phase, and its something that a lot don't talk about. With so much pressure from A-levels, getting into university or getting a job, it can really suck when you get lonely feelings.

You just have to persevere though, and remember that things do eventually get better

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm literally in the exact same position as you with everything your wrote ! It's almost as if you took this out of my mind haha ,I don't no what to do either !! Is there any way we can talk? I'm sure we can relate to the situation

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.