Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what can students do as a preparation for university applications? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a 3 months holiday now, not that I'm going to uni soon, I am just about to start college.

So I am wondering what can I do during these 3 months so that I am a better candidate when it comes to universities interviews (especially oxbridge).

ReputationRep:
    Look into the course and get a head start on researching it. oh and buy some nice stationary before you go to uni

ReputationRep:
    When you find yourself knee deep in uni exam revision/assignments, you would reflect back on that one summer you had when you could spend it relaxing, hanging out with friends and pursuing your interests

Read widely, do what you find most enjoyable. (Universities also like students who are committed to their interests)
    But most importantly, take some time off and enjoy the summer!!

ReputationRep:
    Start reading some books related to what topic you want to study so you can mention it in your personal statement Also some work experience would be good as well to show your interest further

ReputationRep:
    Only one thing to do, read the suggested reading. Other than that build up a respectable toleration for copious amounts of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayla_54)
    I have a 3 months holiday now, not that I'm going to uni soon, I am just about to start college.

So I am wondering what can I do during these 3 months so that I am a better candidate when it comes to universities interviews (especially oxbridge).
    Learn to cook and iron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayla_54)

Hi,

I've edited your title as it seems people have mis-interpreted you and thought you were asking about preparing for university study, rather than preparing for applications/things you can do to make yourself a stronger applicant.

I've also moved the thread to UCAS and Apps.

ReputationRep:
    Start researching courses that you are interested in, and check that you are doing any necessary subjects before you start college, whilst there's still time to rectify the situation.

Get work experience, if that's necessary for your course.

Do some reading around the subject

Consider going to some open days, so that you can start to get a feel for things like whether you want a campus or a city uni, big or small town, and all also what Amy given uni might feel like

Apply for summer schools like Sutton trust, Eton and UNIQ (though I don't know what the deadlines are)

See if your local uni has an outreach scheme that you are eligible for eg Manchester Access Programme. Also look at Access to Leeds, which is open to you regardless of geographical location.

And remember to have some fun!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.