Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    a couple of weeks ago it was my 28th and my parents/dad bought me a car. I had sold my old car last year as at the time I was living in London and didn't need a car but I decided at the start of the year to move back in with my family as it was too expensive. Anyway, the car my dad bought is a a3 that he bought from his friend for a good price however the car is registered in his name. I have insured it with aviva as me as the main driver/policy holder but I have also added both of my younger brothers (26 and 18) and my dad as named drivers.

What I would like to know is that if anyone one of us had a accident would aviva be abit iffy with it? I will be driving it mon-fri to work but occasionally il let my brothers drive it and my dad. My dad and my 26 year old brother both have there own cars but my brothers is a unreliable rust bucket.

ReputationRep:
    The only issue I can think of is that the Main driver should also be the owner of the car as far as I know(Thats what i was told at least...not sure if it is the law), So maybe you can just "buy" the car from your dad for like 1p ?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You just need to let them know that the registered keeper is your dad, not you, because most insurance companies (especially if you go through comparison websites) just assume the policy holder is the registered keeper. They should be OK with it, avoid switching keeper needlessly as it just adds an additional owner to the car if you ever plan to resell it.

There might be an additional premium to pay.

(Original post by ak_93)
    The only issue I can think of is that the Main driver should also be the owner of the car as far as I know(Thats what i was told at least...not sure if it is the law), So maybe you can just "buy" the car from your dad for like 1p ?
    Owner is something completely different to registered keeper - there is no list of car owners everywhere, so insurance companies don't really use this.

ReputationRep:
    When I got the quote online I put that the registered keeper and the owner was a relative as that was the closest option I could pick that would match my dad. When I took the quote out on the phone the guy read out everything and asked if they were correct.

i don't really want to put the car in my name as the car already has 3 owners and by changing it the resell value of the car would go down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logi301)
    When I got the quote online I put that the registered keeper and the owner was a relative as that was the closest option I could pick that would match my dad. When I took the quote out on the phone the guy read out everything and asked if they were correct.

i don't really want to put the car in my name as the car already has 3 owners and by changing it the resell value of the car would go down.
    By the sounds of it, you have told them that it isnt registered to you, and they have confirmed this. So if you did need to claim, there would be no need for them to be iffy about this

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.