Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if you can offer any advice on the food that is provided within catered residencies? What sort of meals do they serve? Are they healthy or is it a lot of deep fried stuff? I have looked at the menu but you can never be too sure. I'm wondering whether you think it is worth the extra 40 pounds (or so) a week?
    How far away is a supermarket from say Central Village or Henry Price?
    If you had to choose to stay in either of these which would you pick and why?
    Cheers!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Tegan

Thanks for your question Accommodation questions are really popular at the moment!

For students living in Ellerslie, Lyddon and Charles Morris Residences, you'll be given a Meal Plan card, which you can use in The Refectory or Mezz Bar to buy your food.

For students in halls this year (2012/13), they have £9.70 to spend each weekday (£5.80 on weekends). The Meal Plan card can be used at the following times:
    Weekdays: 08:00 – 11:30, 14:00 – 19:00
    Weekends: 10:00 – 14:00

The food on offer is really varied, at breakfast you can get everything from fruit, toast, cereal and porridge, to a full blown English breakfast! In the afternoons and evenings, our menu is even more varied. Anyone can eat in The Refectory - I had my lunch there today. The choice is really varied, here's what I had to choose from:
    -Jacket potato with a choice of hot and cold fillings
    -salad bar (this is what I went for! - everything from lettuce and tomatoes to mixed bean salad, eggs, coleslaw, noodle salad, potato salad, I was stuffed!)
    -soup of the day
    -hot sandwich (I think it was pulled pork today)
    -baguette bar - again a huge choice of breads and fillings)
    -pre-packed sandwiches
    -hot wok noodle bar
    -Street food: this was some kind of authentic/traditional curry with fried rice, mini naans and onion bhajis
    -pasta dish (served with salad and garlic bread)
    -pizza, chips and salad (two types on offer)
    -Hot Meals: a vegetarian quiche/pie with veg and a choice of potatos
    and - because it's friday, fish and chips!

On top of that, there was a wide range of drinks, fruit, crisps, hot and cold puddings (I had a raspberry cheesecake!)

So - it's not all deep fried You'll get a total of £60.10 a week to spend on food - it doesn't roll over from day to day but in the evenings you can buy things like fruit, milk and dried pasta to use up any leftover credit.

Regarding supermarkets, there are several smaller Tesco Express near to our campus if you need to pick up essentials. Then, in the city centre (10mins walk from campus) there is a Morrisons. There's also a Morrisons in Kirkstall (about 2 miles away), a Sainsburys in Headingley (big student area), and an large Asda - although that's about 4 miles from campus, the both the number 1 and 6 buses run past the Univeristy main entrance and terminate at the Asda. So there's lots of options!

I hope that helps with your decision making! If you can, come to our Accommodation Viewing Day on Saturday 27 April, you'll be able to see the residences for yourself.... and try the food!

Amanda

ReputationRep:
    Hi Amanda,

That's fantastic - really helpful thank you!
    My only question now is - how much does 9.70 actually get you?
    If I spent $10 AUD on lunch at uni in Australia I would only be able to get a drink and some sort of sandwich/ wrap/ roll.
    So just wondering whether the 9.70 is enough to get you your breakfast and dinner for the day?

Cheers

Tegan

ReputationRep:
    Also I'm in Australia so I won't be able to make it to any open days ; )
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by teganalexis)
    Hi Amanda,

That's fantastic - really helpful thank you!
    My only question now is - how much does 9.70 actually get you?
    If I spent $10 AUD on lunch at uni in Australia I would only be able to get a drink and some sort of sandwich/ wrap/ roll.
    So just wondering whether the 9.70 is enough to get you your breakfast and dinner for the day?

Cheers

Tegan
    It is enough - although I guess it depends on how much you eat! From my experiences of talking to students, most use £2-£3 on breakfast (for say some porridge, fruit and a hot drink), and then the rest on dinner. You wouldn't be able to use it to get a full cooked breakfast, and then a three course dinner (and drinks!) - but then I don't think many people would be able to eat that much in one day

Any leftover money can be used to by things like dry pasta, milk, bread etc - which are on sale in the refectory in the evenings.

Hope that helps

Amanda

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.