Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Laptop for ~£550? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new computer, and I'd like a laptop so that I can use it on the go and perhaps in Sixth Form. I already have a netbook, which I know can do fine with word processing and stuff, but I'd like to do gaming as well. I understand that a laptop isn't as good for gaming, but to be honest I'm getting a bit sick of having to have so many computers when I could just have a more powerful one to do everything.

My "budget" is about £550, and I'd want one with at least an Intel Core i5, hopefully an i7. The things I'd want to do on it range from light browsing and word processing to playing games, from about Minecraft-standard to something like Battlefield 3 on very low settings. I understand something like BF3 may be a push, but still, I wouldn't be that upset if I could only play games like that on low settings.

What do you guys think I should get? My prime candidates were the Asus K55A with an i7 processor from Amazon for £499.99, or this, for £380.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    If you want an ultra portable device with good battery life and an SSD then consider this
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_...G_1290269.html

Comes with a dedicated GFX card that will run Battlefield 3 on normal just fine.

There are other good gaming laptops out there which are better value but you lose the portability and battery life for better specs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    If you want an ultra portable device with good battery life and an SSD then consider this
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_...G_1290269.html

Comes with a dedicated GFX card that will run Battlefield 3 on normal just fine.

There are other good gaming laptops out there which are better value but you lose the portability and battery life for better specs.
    Hm, it's tempting, especially with the rather cheap price tag attached to it for an i5 with dedicated graphics.

Have you bought from here before, as in is it a reputable vendor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    Hm, it's tempting, especially with the rather cheap price tag attached to it for an i5 with dedicated graphics.

Have you bought from here before, as in is it a reputable vendor?
    Oh yeh, it's very reputable. It's one of the best sites in the UK for laptops.

100% recommend them.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new computer, and I'd like a laptop so that I can use it on the go and perhaps in Sixth Form. I already have a netbook, which I know can do fine with word processing and stuff, but I'd like to do gaming as well. I understand that a laptop isn't as good for gaming, but to be honest I'm getting a bit sick of having to have so many computers when I could just have a more powerful one to do everything.

My "budget" is about £550, and I'd want one with at least an Intel Core i5, hopefully an i7. The things I'd want to do on it range from light browsing and word processing to playing games, from about Minecraft-standard to something like Battlefield 3 on very low settings. I understand something like BF3 may be a push, but still, I wouldn't be that upset if I could only play games like that on low settings.

What do you guys think I should get? My prime candidates were the Asus K55A with an i7 processor from Amazon for £499.99, or this, for £380.

Thank you!
    How portable are we talking about, in terms of weight 2.5kg or less?

You won't benefit with an i7 to be honest with general activities, only when you start getting further into minecraft as the game is really cpu and ram intensive.
    Battlefield should be doable on low settings, but you need a dedicated graphics card ideally otherwise expect lag.

Another thing is with those ultrabooks, the cpu's used are weaker version of the laptop cpu's which themselves are weaker versions of the desktop cpu version.
    Also those Acer "ultrabooks" aren't really ultrabooks they are still quite heavy.........also its Acer, not very reputable in terms of reliability, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Another thing is with those ultrabooks, the cpu's used are weaker version of the laptop cpu's which themselves are weaker versions of the desktop cpu version.
    Also those Acer "ultrabooks" aren't really ultrabooks they are still quite heavy.........also its Acer, not very reputable in terms of reliability, etc.
    They're not ultrabooks as such, but for the price and the fact that it comes with a long battery life, dedicated graphics card, built in SSD and is lighter than most laptops means that it can be classed as an ultrabook. I'd say Acer have improved a lot in terms of reliability in the last few years.

But i agree that the processor will be weaker than a normal laptop. So like i said above, if portibility, battery life and SSD is something you can do without then it'd be cheaper to just buy a normal laptop with better specs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    They're not ultrabooks as such, but for the price and the fact that it comes with a long battery life, dedicated graphics card, built in SSD and is lighter than most laptops means that it can be classed as an ultrabook. I'd say Acer have improved a lot in terms of reliability in the last few years.

But i agree that the processor will be weaker than a normal laptop. So like i said above, if portibility, battery life and SSD is something you can do without then it'd be cheaper to just buy a normal laptop with better specs.
    I wouldn't say that, its not far off the average weight of a laptop, around 2.4-2.5kg, you can find laptops which weigh less than this "ultrabook".

Acer specs are good only because demand is so low for their products so they try anything, but truth is even now they aren't matching their competitors like Lenovo, Samsung, Toshiba, etc. I rather get something reliable then knowing it may die soon.

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the site Sum Gai suggested and there are loads of laptops on it for Cheaper prices with similar specs, so i'm sure yu can find a laptop perfect for you, you could also try sites like Student Computers as they do discounts for Students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    How portable are we talking about, in terms of weight 2.5kg or less?

You won't benefit with an i7 to be honest with general activities, only when you start getting further into minecraft as the game is really cpu and ram intensive.
    Battlefield should be doable on low settings, but you need a dedicated graphics card ideally otherwise expect lag.

Well, I'd like to take it to Sixth Form, so something which I can comfortably carry in a laptop shoulder bag or backpack. I probably carry a lot more than 2.5kg on my back to school anyway, but obviously it'd have to fit on a two-person desk comfortably enough for the other person to be able to do their stuff, so width is more of an issue than weight. I'd also preferably want one with a kensington lock hole in it because I'm either paranoid or smart.

As with the CPU, I don't play Minecraft that much, nor do I BF3, but I play games with engines which range from Java to Frostbite 2 in terms of graphics requirements, if that makes sense. I'd probably play a lot of EVE Online too, which I once got working on a netbook, so that won't be that big a problem.

(Original post by Jono122)
    I looked at the site Sum Gai suggested and there are loads of laptops on it for Cheaper prices with similar specs, so i'm sure yu can find a laptop perfect for you, you could also try sites like Student Computers as they do discounts for Students
    I don't have a students discount card, or anything really (apart from my ID card which probably won't be good enough), so I don't think I can go down that route.

I may just buy one for the same price but with better specs, but I don't know, it's not like I'm in a rush so I have a lot of time to check reviews etc. A potential issue I have is the 128GB SSD that comes with the ultrabook. I know the advantages of solid-state drives, faster transfer speeds meaning quicker startup and load times, less likely to break etc. which sounds very appealing, but has anyone actually been able to use a 128GB SSD on its own, along with installing games (BF3 takes up something ridiculous like 30gb if I install it, I'm guessing other games would be about 5-10gb)? Would it be better to get one with an HDD because of the hard drive capacity, or to get an SSD because of the transfer speeds?

ReputationRep:
    Lenovo Ideapad Z500... It's at pcworld.com- has very good specs for value at £550...the only slight downfall with battery life at 3hrs but people seem to think you can get more out of it when needed. I'm planning on getting it sometime this weekend! So if your interested I can give some more feedback later.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tedward)
    Lenovo Ideapad Z500... It's at pcworld.com- has very good specs for value at £550...the only slight downfall with battery life at 3hrs but people seem to think you can get more out of it when needed. I'm planning on getting it sometime this weekend! So if your interested I can give some more feedback later.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I was looking at that. If you want to, please PM me and tell me how it is, it would help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at that. If you want to, please PM me and tell me how it is, it would help a lot.
    hi i spent a stupid amount of time today looking over laptops and eventually i didnt go for it...it was mainly due to short battery life, which may or may not have actually been a problem but i needed something i could rely on at uni next year and the matter was too uncertain.

i think it definitely is the best value for money laptop you can get though. i eventually went for this http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...19990-pdt.html
    because my dad was feeling particularly generous

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at this, i'd recommend it over the one i posted earlier if you want the bigger hard drive/better build quality/processor.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_...H_1287208.html

Or this, but it's a bit more bulky, has more ram, more ports, bigger HDD, better processor
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_Z580_1336880.html

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'd like to take it to Sixth Form, so something which I can comfortably carry in a laptop shoulder bag or backpack. I probably carry a lot more than 2.5kg on my back to school anyway, but obviously it'd have to fit on a two-person desk comfortably enough for the other person to be able to do their stuff, so width is more of an issue than weight. I'd also preferably want one with a kensington lock hole in it because I'm either paranoid or smart.

As with the CPU, I don't play Minecraft that much, nor do I BF3, but I play games with engines which range from Java to Frostbite 2 in terms of graphics requirements, if that makes sense. I'd probably play a lot of EVE Online too, which I once got working on a netbook, so that won't be that big a problem.

I don't have a students discount card, or anything really (apart from my ID card which probably won't be good enough), so I don't think I can go down that route.

I may just buy one for the same price but with better specs, but I don't know, it's not like I'm in a rush so I have a lot of time to check reviews etc. A potential issue I have is the 128GB SSD that comes with the ultrabook. I know the advantages of solid-state drives, faster transfer speeds meaning quicker startup and load times, less likely to break etc. which sounds very appealing, but has anyone actually been able to use a 128GB SSD on its own, along with installing games (BF3 takes up something ridiculous like 30gb if I install it, I'm guessing other games would be about 5-10gb)? Would it be better to get one with an HDD because of the hard drive capacity, or to get an SSD because of the transfer speeds?
    You don't need a Student discount card to buy from the site, with the discounts

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.