Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel as though I'm addicted to Coke/Pepsi Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice.

I will admit, I do drink a lot of fizzy drinks. I saw a deal in the Co-op the other day for 2 bottles of pepsi for £2. So I bought two, and will probably drink them over 3-4 days. I brush my teeth regularly, and my dental health is fine, I went to the dentist in March, and was told not to come back for six months, so I assume everything's ok, but I do like to drink fizzy drinks a lot.

If I see a good deal (eg. A bottle of coke/pepsi for £1 or two bottles for £2) then I will buy it, and this is usually about once a week, and I feel this is too much.

Is it healthier to drink the diet options? I know the healthiest thing to do is not to drink them at all, but I don't drink alcohol, and I like to have a treat.

Overall, I like to think I eat well. I love fruit and vegetables, I will try and eat as balanced as I can, but it's this thing that's really bugging me.

So, I guess what I'm asking is: Is it ok to drink a bottle (occasionally two) of fizzy drink a week, or is it too much?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Honestly for me, sugar is just the biggest killer going.

I stick to a very strict blood-sugar diet for diabetics (though I'm not diabetic myself) and the thought of drinking a drink with that much sugar in honestly makes me horrified!

I can't advise you enough to ditch the sugar drinks. Go for diet versions, Pepsi Max and Coke Zero are actually quite nice. I don't like Diet Coke at all.

Your body will support around 3 teaspoons of glucose in your blood at any one time. If you were to drink half of a 2l bottle of coke you'd only be ingesting 400calories which may not seem significant. But you'll be taking in 108g of pure sugar into your system. That's equal to 36 teaspoons of sugar into your blood. 33 teaspoons of pure sugar that your body does not need, does not want, and cannot support. Your body will have a massive knee-jerk reaction and flood your system with insulin to balance the levels and pull the sugar out of your blood, and it will inevitably be stored as fat. That insulin spike will do horrific things to your body, it's so unhealthy.

Even if it's just a can of coke, filled with 39g of sugar. Again, 13 teaspoons of pure sugar that you're literally injecting into your blood system. If your body can handle 3 teaspoons worth, again it will have a massive insulin spike to pull out the other 10 teaspoons/26g of sugar and store it straight away as fat.

I really hate to harp on but it's a fast track way to getting diabetes.

I drink a lot of fizzy flavoured water, there's so much choice in the supermarkets, 1L only contains 20 calories or so. If you really do want coke/pepsi, and I can understand how you feel because I used to be the same. The taste, the sweetness, the sugar rush it gives you... stick to coke zero, diet coke, pepsi max etc...

I feel like I'm lecturing you but sugar is just something that is such a killer and my whole diet is based around blood/glucose levels so I do take it quite serious!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to read up on it click here!

ReputationRep:
    I drink 2L of Pepsi Max per day, sometimes more if I have the time.

I think it is called comfort drinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    Honestly for me, sugar is just the biggest killer going.

I stick to a very strict blood-sugar diet for diabetics (though I'm not diabetic myself) and the thought of drinking a drink with that much sugar in honestly makes me horrified!

I can't advise you enough to ditch the sugar drinks. Go for diet versions, Pepsi Max and Coke Zero are actually quite nice. I don't like Diet Coke at all.

Your body will support around 3 teaspoons of glucose in your blood at any one time. If you were to drink half of a 2l bottle of coke you'd only be ingesting 400calories which may not seem significant. But you'll be taking in 108g of pure sugar into your system. That's equal to 36 teaspoons of sugar into your blood. 33 teaspoons of pure sugar that your body does not need, does not want, and cannot support. Your body will have a massive knee-jerk reaction and flood your system with insulin to balance the levels and pull the sugar out of your blood, and it will inevitably be stored as fat. That insulin spike will do horrific things to your body, it's so unhealthy.

Even if it's just a can of coke, filled with 39g of sugar. Again, 13 teaspoons of pure sugar that you're literally injecting into your blood system. If your body can handle 3 teaspoons worth, again it will have a massive insulin spike to pull out the other 10 teaspoons/26g of sugar and store it straight away as fat.

I really hate to harp on but it's a fast track way to getting diabetes.

I drink a lot of fizzy flavoured water, there's so much choice in the supermarkets, 1L only contains 20 calories or so. If you really do want coke/pepsi, and I can understand how you feel because I used to be the same. The taste, the sweetness, the sugar rush it gives you... stick to coke zero, diet coke, pepsi max etc...

I feel like I'm lecturing you but sugar is just something that is such a killer and my whole diet is based around blood/glucose levels so I do take it quite serious!
    I don't feel lectured, don't worry. I asked for a reason.

Sugar is the main villain in my diet. It came about when I was revising for A levels, and survived on energy drinks, and I haven't curbed it.

The reason I'm asking, is I wan't to get back into the gym. And I wanted to know if switching to diet drinks will help, but the flavoured water options sound nice as well, I'll look into them

Thanks for the reply though, the link was very interesting to read. My elder brother got diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last year (when he was 22), so I really do want to get this sorted

ReputationRep:
    Caffeine and sugar additive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I drink 2L of Pepsi Max per day, sometimes more if I have the time.

I think it is called comfort drinking.
    2L of Pepsi Max per day? That's quite a "too much" drinking for certain soda, as myself cannot even drink all up a liter of it. We should avoid drinking soda, they are very addictive because of caffeine and sugar, not only that, it might lead us to certain health problems too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.