Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

First of all I am an international students interested in pursuing an MSc then a PHD in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.

I got offers from the following universities:

-University of Southampton. UK
    -University of Manchester. UK
    -University of Edinburgh. UK
    -Mcgill University. Canada (Funded)
    -Waterloo University. Canada (Funded)

For me it is down between Edinburgh and Waterloo.

My MSc in Waterloo is funded. Moreover it is easy to get a Canadian citizenship once i am done with my studies.However deep down I prefer Edinburgh and I am able to afford expenses for a one year MSc but not more. So can someone please help me by answering these questions:

-How does Edinburgh reputation compares to Waterloo in AI? (Note that Waterloo is the best CS uni in Canada)

-If I graduated top 5% of my class in Edinburgh what are the chances to get full funding when continuing my PHD studies? (note that I am an international student)

-How hard is it to find work in Scotland after graduation if I decide to work when I am done with my MSc? (note that I currently have 3 years of development experience)

-How hard is it to get the British passport and settle in Scotland?

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    210 view and no replies

can someone help plz ?

ReputationRep:
    i think the issue is as a mainly uk thread not many people know too much about Waterloo, sorry :/

ReputationRep:
    how about job prospects in UK after graduation, chance of fully funded PHD after graduation (given high MSc grades), and getting UK passport and settling in Scotland?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Both of my siblings attended Edinburgh university and have been comfortable with their offers since graduating. My sister got a job straight away and my brother is continuing study down south. They did well in their degrees so if you do well in yours I am sure you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I don't know much about the university in Canada or even Edinburgh University for that matter. But it sounds like it's a bit risky to choose Edinburgh, although a beautiful city.

If you have everything funded in Waterloo that just sounds like the safer option.

From my personal experience looking at PhDs in psychology, they are highly competitive and you really have to stand out to get onto them. A good grade in your masters and something else to boost you such as work experience. Your course sounds a lot more specific than psychology which would probably mean there would be less competition with less people applying for it but still competitive nonetheless.

If you really want to go to Edinburgh and can afford to fund yourself for the year then you could take the risks and hope it works out, which it could.

But I don't know and going by what you've said, I'd go with Waterloo just for a safer option.

Good luck with what you choose sorry I couldn't be much help but didn't want to read and run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeirdLittleO)
    Hey

I don't know much about the university in Canada or even Edinburgh University for that matter. But it sounds like it's a bit risky to choose Edinburgh, although a beautiful city.

If you have everything funded in Waterloo that just sounds like the safer option.

From my personal experience looking at PhDs in psychology, they are highly competitive and you really have to stand out to get onto them. A good grade in your masters and something else to boost you such as work experience. Your course sounds a lot more specific than psychology which would probably mean there would be less competition with less people applying for it but still competitive nonetheless.

If you really want to go to Edinburgh and can afford to fund yourself for the year then you could take the risks and hope it works out, which it could.

But I don't know and going by what you've said, I'd go with Waterloo just for a safer option.

Good luck with what you choose sorry I couldn't be much help but didn't want to read and run.
    Thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.