Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So I regret not taking Spanish at A level, and am looking to carry it on at Uni. I want to do Spanish with Sociology, and I am taking Sociology at A level now. I got an A in GCSE Spanish, and took it in just one year. Some universities do offer Sociology with Spanish at beginners level

I wondered if anyone else had any experiences of doing a language at University from beginners level, with or without another subject, or if anyone else had any views.

Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I haven't but one of my friends did beginners Italian and she said she was fine. She said it was just like learning her second language (she does joint MFL degree).

Some courses if you're starting for beginners want evidence of some capability of speaking a second language. I've seen requirements of A/A* grade at GCSE to B grade at AS. It really depends on the university and which course you go for. Check individually for the course you want. If you can't find any answers, don't hesitate to contact the university directly.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, that's very useful i don't know why i didn't take Spanish at AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12sunshine)
    Hey,

So I regret not taking Spanish at A level, and am looking to carry it on at Uni. I want to do Spanish with Sociology, and I am taking Sociology at A level now. I got an A in GCSE Spanish, and took it in just one year. Some universities do offer Sociology with Spanish at beginners level

I wondered if anyone else had any experiences of doing a language at University from beginners level, with or without another subject, or if anyone else had any views.

Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Your university might ask why you dropped Spanish at GCSE and now want to restart it again. (They might not, but that's what I got told would happen if I dropped Italian and chose to pick it up again). It shouldn't be too much of a problem, so long as your reason for dropping it wasn't "I found it really boring and I disliked it". Just be aware to come up with a sensible answer to that question.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you do you take Italian at University?

ReputationRep:
    nah, i'm in Year 12... but I was thinking about it. Decided to do German and Spanish at A Level instead and I'm loving it

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, I regret not taking Spanish so much

ReputationRep:
    I study Spanish from post-GCSE level at UEA so it's definitely possible!

ReputationRep:
    Ah really! How do you find it? Was it hard to pick it up again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12sunshine)
    Ah really! How do you find it? Was it hard to pick it up again?
    Well I always wanted to study Spanish at uni but my sixth form didn't run the a-level so did an OU course and mainly just kept it up myself so it wasn't really a case of 'picking it up'. At the beginning of the course it was assumed we were capable in most of the more common tenses ie present, imperfect/preterite (that I still struggle with, oops) future, conditional but there's so much support here at UEA and to be honest there's so much information and exercises on the internet its easy to teach yourself the verb patterns. The main thing about languages at uni is that you need to work on it outside of classes or it'll never happen; I have 4 timetabled hours per week. Definitely think you should go for Spanish if you can though.

ReputationRep:
    I started Spanish ab initio at the University of Southampton. I ended up getting a first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by translation)
    I started Spanish ab initio at the University of Southampton. I ended up getting a first!
    Did you have another language at a level? I really regret not taking Spanish a level as well and am thinking of doing it again at uni but some of my friends who do French for example say it is so hard compared to gcse and have started to hate it, so am scared about doing Spanish without any higher level work in language learning!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.