Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Korean crime films watch

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if anyone can help me discover some new Korean movies? I have seen a few (Madeo, Memories of Murder, I saw the Devil) which I thought were excellent. Can anyone point me to any others in a similar vein?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does it have to be specifically a crime film? Because Old Boy is a South Korean film and also one of my favourites.

ReputationRep:
    I second Oldboy. Amazing film. Although be advised, a live octopus may be eaten.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed The Chaser. I thought that was better than Old Boy, quite dark but still good.

I'd been looking for some similar films too.

ReputationRep:
    Think i'm gonna check out the Chaser, it sounds pretty good!

ReputationRep:
    The Chaser is awesome.
    Oldboy
    JSA: Joint Security Area
    The Man From Nowhere (if you like I Saw the Devil you'll like this, it's better imo)
    No Mercy
    A Bittersweet Life
    Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

I haven't seen these films, but they're meant to be good and are on my watch list.
    The Yellow Sea
    The Good, the Bad, the Weird
    Mother
    Bedevilled

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing someone has got Lovefilm instant? ^^

Yeah, I would also put The Man From Nowhere in there, for some reason I was convinced it was a Japanese film about a guy in Korea.

Need to check out A Bittersweet Life.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone. I have heard Old Boy mentioned a lot, sounds like I should start there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I'm guessing someone has got Lovefilm instant? ^^

Yeah, I would also put The Man From Nowhere in there, for some reason I was convinced it was a Japanese film about a guy in Korea.

Need to check out A Bittersweet Life.
    I just go through periods where I watch different types of films. I Saw the Devil was the first one I watched, since then I try and watch as many as I can!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NessEB)
    Does it have to be specifically a crime film? Because Old Boy is a South Korean film and also one of my favourites.
    watched Oldboy this evening. Thanks for the recommendation. I really enjoyed it. Pretty hard to follow at times (I had to read the WP plot summary to figure out what was going on!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    watched Oldboy this evening. Thanks for the recommendation. I really enjoyed it. Pretty hard to follow at times (I had to read the WP plot summary to figure out what was going on!)
    No problem :-) I was a bit confused first time round but I kinda caught on the second time I watched it. Was pretty freaked out at the two parts where Dae-su Oh cuts his arms and eats a living Octopus - which might I add he actually did them both in real life, no CGI or any of that crap.

Another good film from SK is Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. It's about a woman who was inprisoned for being falsely accused of murder and upon her release she sets out to seek revenge against the actual murderer.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed The Chaser. I thought that was better than Old Boy, quite dark but still good.

I'd been looking for some similar films too.
    I've been saying this for ages on this subforum. The Chaser is more enjoyable but unfortunately in Korea I believe it came out to much hype and was compared to Oldboy and therefore failed to live up i.e. expectations were too high. Still, it's a much more skillfully made film. The tension is insane and there's not stupid plot twists. It's pure character and pacing. Awesome.

Man From Nowhere > Taken. Just watch it.

If you liked Apocalypto, which is frankly such a visceral and powerful movie that would've won a tonne of Oscars had it been made in Hollywood, then War of the Arrows is good. It's very similar to Apocalypto and an enjoyable watch with good action (but not as good as Apocalypto).

ReputationRep:
    Just watched The Chaser. Thanks for the rec. Very dark and bleak, but excellent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NessEB)
    Another good film from SK is Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. It's about a woman who was inprisoned for being falsely accused of murder and upon her release she sets out to seek revenge against the actual murderer.
    Watched it a while back and it was the first Korean film that I didn't like.

(Original post by silent ninja)

I've been telling people this for ages.

ReputationRep:

But that's not saying much, tbh. Taken is utter rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    But that's not saying much, tbh. Taken is utter rubbish.
    I like Taken. I watch films on their own merits. It's basically a B grade action movie, kinda like a lot of stuff that Jason Statham makes (fan of his, he's good). If you can watch it on that basis, Taken is solid and a good watch but each to their own.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I like Taken. I watch films on their own merits. It's basically a B grade action movie, kinda like a lot of stuff that Jason Statham makes (fan of his, he's good). If you can watch it on that basis, Taken is solid and a good watch but each to their own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok, fair comment. :yep:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do agree with this. Somethings you just want to watch some second rate action film being carried by one guy, or a crude low budget comedy. So long as you sit down expecting that they can still be very enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    It took me a while but I finally got around to watching Bedevilled the other day, thought it was really good. The performance from Yeong-hie Seo, who also plays the prostitute in The Chaser, is unbelievably good, surprised she isn't in more films.

Also watched Yellow Sea and it was really average which was disappointing. It was the same director as The Chaser so expectations were pretty high. The film just never got going unfortunately.

In terms of rankings for Korean films I've now seen:

10/10: The Man From Nowhere/Memories of Murder
    9.5/10: Oldboy/The Chaser
    9/10: I Saw the Devil/Bedevilled/JSA
    8/10: Sympathy for Mr Vengeance/a Bittersweet Life
    7/10: No Mercy
    6/10: The Yellow Sea/Lady Vengeance

There's a few more Korean films I want to see but after those I've probably exhausted all I'm going to watch from Korean Cinema, might try Japanese cinema next :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    It's been mentioned multiple times in this thread already but I really cannot emphasise how good The Chaser is. One of the my fave films of any language.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.