Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is the best university in the United States? watch

ReputationRep:
    Dear students, which among the popular universities in the United States of America is the best?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Surely Harvard?

ReputationRep:
    MIT

ReputationRep:
    It will depend on your area of study, your profile as a student and the opinions of different people, which vary quite a lot. For a very generalised average opinion across the board, it is probably Harvard, with places like Stanford, MIT, Princeton, Yale and Columbia all in the running as well.

ReputationRep:
    For what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totalysurfers)
    Dear students, which among the popular universities in the United States of America is the best?
    Moved to North American Study.

There really isn't such a thing as "best". This is subjective and also depends on what it is you want to study. Whether you are talking about undergraduate or postgraduate experience is also relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Um...I don't even know how to go about this. Which field are we talking about? Business? Engineering? Law? Medicine? You have to narrow it down in order for us to be able to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    For what?
    Just curious.

ReputationRep:
    Just curious.
    I think what he means is the field or program that you are looking for...

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought Harvard?
    But I guess it depends on what you want from the university...

ReputationRep:
    As I like to tell all the kids from my high school I keep in touch with -

What matters is not whether you go to an Ivy: it's that you go to a school that's an Ivy for you. I have friends studying film at USC's School of Cinematic Arts, music at Northwestern Bienen, and music production at NYU Steinhardt. All three are at arguably the best of the best school in their fields (music's broad, but NU's near the top and you get my point).

Atmosphere and what you look for as "the college experience" matters as well. For example, while Amherst may be one of the top liberal arts colleges in the US, if you need a big sprawling college vibe, it would not be right for you.

The sheer vagueness of the question is why at first I saw this post and disregarded it. But eventually I felt I had to jump in.

ReputationRep:
    I was doing a research on what are the top universities in US, when I encountered this survey in Google. It was a poll on the website Zanda called,
    What is the best university in the United States?

Interestingly, leading the poll is Harvard University, second is Yale, and on the third spot is Princeton.

http://www.zanda.com/matches/3004000...-united-states

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Lencias;42227902]As I like to tell all the kids from my high school I keep in touch with -

I was doing a research a more in-depth research on the best universities in the US, when I encountered this poll on Google, entitled:
    What is the best university in the United States?
    Interestingly, Harvard is leading, 2nd is Yale, 3rd is Princeton.

http://www.zanda.com/matches/3004000...-united-states

ReputationRep:
    It's like asking which is the best food. Everyone has their own tastes, and their own favourites. Some food will suit certain people better than others. You can't answer that with an online poll or a US news and world report ranking.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.. I wanted to ask in relation to the OP's question; what is the best university in the US for Chemistry and which is the best to study Geography?
    Both for undergraduate study!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurtisDean)
    Hi.. I wanted to ask in relation to the OP's question; what is the best university in the US for Chemistry and which is the best to study Geography?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Whilst I couldn't judge schools without looking into them more, I feel i hVe to remind you that you study lots of topics and subjects in a us college, and its not till junior year you even have to firmly decide on a major.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mit

using the tsr app

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurtisDean)
    Best for Geography will be Berkeley, UCLA, or UW Madison.

'Best' for undergrad Chemistry will be a long list comprising all the usual suspects (Harvard, Berkeley, Caltech, MIT...) and as well Harvey Mudd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    Don't go to the USA to study it's not a good country. I know this. Stay in the UK.

Do you by any chance use the TSR app?
    What makes you say that?

ReputationRep:
    Totalysurfers, I grew up in the US and went to a high school that sends tons of kids to HYP, the smaller Ivies, and various other prestigious US universities each year. Knowing how to use Google doesn't mean anything, and if you're just gonna point to obscure rankings (what the hell is Zanda?) to backup your misguided conceptions, why start this thread with your incredibly vague question in the first place?

And to Sammy/Rachael: Sammy's pretty spot-on, America is capitalist and individualist to a fault.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.