Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm currently studying an English Lit degree. What are my future employment opportunities with a degree of this sort? Any info will be greatly appreciated :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Starbucks.

ReputationRep:
    You could do anything you want! Out of my cohort of English Literature graduates, there are people working in:

- Education
    - Museums/Heritage
    - Fashion
    - PR/Marketing
    - Journalism
    - Publishing
    - Charity sector
    - Banking
    - Law
    - Accountancy

and the list could go on.

For some of these obviously you will need further training beyond your degree, but it just goes to show you're not limited to the arts or education after graduation. Not all English graduates become teachers or librarians.

It's a fact that employers love English graduates - we're articulate, analytical, culturally aware and usually very emotionally intelligent (ie. will make good managers of people). English is a very well respected, traditional degree course that usually (depending on your university) requires students to have a high standard of academic achievement as a prerequisite. It teaches you so many transferable skills and ensures that you have an outstanding command of the English language, which is very hard to come by in the workplace, believe me. Due to all of these reasons, English graduates are amongst the most employable.

You'll find that a huge array of career options are open to you - so it's just up to you to work out what it is you want to try and then go for it.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Rachel :-) The information is much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelsays)
    You could do anything you want! Out of my cohort of English Literature graduates, there are people working in:

- Education
    - Museums/Heritage
    - Fashion
    - PR/Marketing
    - Journalism
    - Publishing
    - Charity sector
    - Banking
    - Law
    - Accountancy

and the list could go on.

For some of these obviously you will need further training beyond your degree, but it just goes to show you're not limited to the arts or education after graduation. Not all English graduates become teachers or librarians.

It's a fact that employers love English graduates - we're articulate, analytical, culturally aware and usually very emotionally intelligent (ie. will make good managers of people). English is a very well respected, traditional degree course that usually (depending on your university) requires students to have a high standard of academic achievement as a prerequisite. It teaches you so many transferable skills and ensures that you have an outstanding command of the English language, which is very hard to come by in the workplace, believe me. Due to all of these reasons, English graduates are amongst the most employable.

You'll find that a huge array of career options are open to you - so it's just up to you to work out what it is you want to try and then go for it.

Good luck!
    Someone needs to give the kool-aid a rest.

There are no transferable skills studying English teaches you that couldn't be taught on a 6 month secretarial course.

ReputationRep:
    Kool aid? Is that some American energy drink or something? Let me REPHRASE my original post...any helpful info will be greatly appreciated not the sarcastic or satirical. No help whatsoever from "starbucks" and the "kool aid" kids...why are you so negative??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brevity)
    Someone needs to give the kool-aid a rest.

There are no transferable skills studying English teaches you that couldn't be taught on a 6 month secretarial course.
    Please stop talking about things you know nothing of.

OP it is correct that English graduates have many transferable skills, and there are plenty of grad schemes open to people from all disciplines of education. For example I studied English Lit at university and now work in executive search (recruitment) as a Researcher on headhunting assignments, and am also currently project manager for the implementation of our first recruitment management database, as my bosses have seen that I'm also very interested in I. T. as well as being a meticulous person who pays great attention to small detail. However I'm now looking to apply for the Aldi graduate management scheme, which I am more than qualified to do with my degree grade and work experience.

On that subject, what is also important when just leaving uni is any work experience or extra curricular things you can add to your CV for example participating in societies, helping to run societies, or holding down a part time job, and if it's related to what you want to do in your future career then even better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Once again, I thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.