Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This is slightly long - please bare with me.

My mother and I were always quite distant. Being strict, she constantly wanted to control my life. e.g. trying to get me applying for uni near home, pressuring me to work for her after graduation, etc. I started Uni in Oct 2011, away from home, meeting new friends, for once I genuinely enjoyed being somewhere.

Having always wanted to run by business, I setup one up whilst at Uni. For me running the company was also setting out to be independent - if anything I would have expected her to support me running it. However, she didn't, and was furious - said it would distract me from study, that I should immediately shut it down, or be cut-off financially. I was used to her suggestions - I knew she did care for me, however that particular time went overboard; I felt betrayed she resorted to using money to control my life - but got me to realise I was still dependent on her, and I didn't want her to control my life anymore. Gradually we fell out just after December 2011 - when she said over the phone, I was no longer welcome at hers. We haven't spoke since.

Have worked alot on top of my degree to support myself - I've saved some money, however because I'm going into final year soon, ideally I would like to focus on getting the degree next year, and less work. I happen to know that I would be eligible to apply for some Finance as an independent student. However, it asks for a reason of estrangement. I'm not sure what I could write down?

ReputationRep:
    You have to estranged for 3 years with NO contact whatsoever unfortunately. It's also a nightmare to prove as you need letters from solicitors and all sorts, and even then student finance can just say "sorry, we don't believe you".

I agree, controlling you with money is wrong.

(Original post by sabian92)
    You have to estranged for 3 years with NO contact whatsoever unfortunately. It's also a nightmare to prove as you need letters from solicitors and all sorts, and even then student finance can just say "sorry, we don't believe you".

I agree, controlling you with money is wrong.
    Have worked for Support Services at Uni and they're able to help with the proof. However, Student Finance specifically request a reason for estrangement - it's a bit embarrassing but I'm not sure what to put when it comes to reason for estrangement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Have worked for Support Services at Uni and they're able to help with the proof. However, Student Finance specifically request a reason for estrangement - it's a bit embarrassing but I'm not sure what to put when it comes to reason for estrangement.
    Have you been out of contact for over 3 years though? It won't matter what reason you write in, if it's not 3 years then it's not classed as estrangement. Stupid, but the way it is unfortunately.

Have you been out of contact for over 3 years though? It won't matter what reason you write in, if it's not 3 years then it's not classed as estrangement. Stupid, but the way it is unfortunately.
    To my understanding it's 12month.

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m..._sheet_v03.pdf

ReputationRep:
    To my understanding it's 12month.

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m..._sheet_v03.pdf
    Ah, fair enough then. I always thought it was 3 years. Apologies.

Ah, fair enough then. I always thought it was 3 years. Apologies.
    No worries.

Any suggestion for the reason for estrangement?

ReputationRep:
    Any suggestion for the reason for estrangement?
    You could say it was finance related, I mean if she cut you off...would that be a valid reason? Sorry to hear about your situation, its a really awkward q to try and answer to too, I hope everything works out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.