Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Samsung Galaxy Mega Announced- How big is too big? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Yesterday Samsung unveiled a new line of handsets called the Samsung Galaxy Mega, with screen sizes weighing in at a massive 5.8" and gargantuan 6.3". For reference, here's the 6.3" model alongside the already enormous Galaxy Note 2:

(Here's a Note 2 alongside an iPhone 5. Imagine the iPhone next to the Mega!)

What do you guys think of phones of this size, and the growing trend towards larger and larger handsets in general? I'm only just about getting used to my 4.7" Nexus 4! Would any of you consider a smartphone this size?

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous size for a phone. You'll look like a **** talking on that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that is too big

ReputationRep:
    I thought the note was too big! This wow.

ReputationRep:
    Love it. I love big phones, would have bought the Note II already but my contract isn't up until August so waiting for any announcements on Note III or in fact this new Mega.

(Original post by sabian92)
    Ridiculous size for a phone. You'll look like a **** talking on that.
    "Oh that guy looks really cool talking on his phone" - said no one ever.

ReputationRep:

They make everything look tiny, but the iPhone just looks comical...

What is going on with Samsung's design team? The 6.3 is effectively an expanded S4 and the 5.8 is a slightly modified and expanded S3... :erm: The specs are relatively mediocre too.

ReputationRep:
    Christ. And I thought my HTC One was big enough!

ReputationRep:
    One problem I find, there is many things wrong with Touch wizard user interface, but one of the main things is the awful use of screen real estate. Despite the increasingly bigger screens, you can't actually fit any more information on the screen. Even with the s3 you're stuck with huge wasted chunks of space on the home screen. This is made even worse on the larger versions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)

They make everything look tiny, but the iPhone just looks comical...

What is going on with Samsung's design team? The 6.3 is effectively an expanded S4 and the 5.8 is a slightly modified and expanded S3... :erm: The specs are relatively mediocre too.
    Aww! The iPhone looks so tiny! While I love samsungs style, I don't really like large phones. I see no need for such a big screen. The note II looks awesome but I don't think I would want anything that big.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think Samsung has made a huge blunder with this. It reminds me of HTC pre-One X when they had a large range of phones, correct me if I'm wrong but Samsung has an even larger range than HTC ever did/has. I think they're going to have a shock when they compare the market expectations of these with the reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harpoon)
    I think Samsung has made a huge blunder with this. It reminds me of HTC pre-One X when they had a large range of phones, correct me if I'm wrong but Samsung has an even larger range than HTC ever did/has. I think they're going to have a shock when they compare the market expectations of these with the reality.
    I agree, especially when they are trying to conquer the asian market with this phone. In countries like China and India the prices of Samsung phones are ridiculously high and you can get much cheaper domestic phones with better specs for a much much cheaper price.

Samsung will have success with the S4 and a few other phones and this will allow them to fund these small side projects. But it's anyone's guess as to how long this can go on for.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's going a bit too far, it's huge! :eek:

ReputationRep:

It looks so cumbersome... :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if it can fit in pockets...

ReputationRep:
    I miss my Motorola razr..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Boy)
    I wonder if it can fit in pockets...
    I wonder if it can fit in my bag...

ReputationRep:
    I thought my phone was big o.o - 4.7 inch HTC Titan

it's just practicality - why do you need the phone big enough to double as a helipad? I think anything above 5 inches is too big, and 5 inches is pushing it - but when you're getting to like 6 inches + you might as well have a tablet. It's not gonna fit in ANY pockets (my phone is bad enough) and you'll need some superhuman thumb dexterity in order to text or do ANYTHING...

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes screen size doesn't directly correlate to phone size. As an example the galaxy s4 with its whopping 5 inch screen is actually fractionally smaller than its predecessor the S3 that has a smaller screen.

At the other end of the spectrum, phones like the iphone5 have very poor screen real estate to phone size ratio due to the whopping big borders at the top bottom and sides of the screen.

ReputationRep:
    The first smartphone I had was a HTC hero, I thought it was pretty big at the time in comparison to other phones on the market. Then I got a HTC Sensation, my current phone. I thought that was pretty big too, but I have learned to love it.

However, the latest breed of smartphones such as HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Google Nexus 4 just seem to be a little too big. When does it stop? they're at about 4.7" screen size now, they will probably bump up to 5" in the next gen. But it seems impossible to get a top end powerful smartphone without the large size. Is this due to the components necessary to run such a device, or do they just think consumers like them bigger?

I now own a tablet, and I must say that I don't use my phone half as much as I did, so it's not necessary to be large to watch movies or play games etc. However, I do still want it to be fast to allow me to browse the web etc. whilst I'm out.

Does anyone else feel this way?

ReputationRep:
    4" is enough for me tbh

You'd look like a right knob on the bus talking to a phone the size of a tablet ¬¬

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.