Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anybody could help me I am looking at starting a laboratory technician apprenticeship this september but before my college (Hull College) will run it for me i have to find an employer that is willing to take me on and im finding it hard to find companies in Hull that I could ask so any help you could give me would help a lot

ReputationRep:
    That's a tricky sector to work in. Getting a foot in the door first with some work experience this summer might help:

Students that I have known go into this area have been successful with their local councils.
    Most have a food and/or product testing department for Health and Safety Trading Standards
    : http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page..._schema=PORTAL
    Do your homework first - find out as much as you can about what they do.
    Does the Council have an apprenticeship manager? If so, contact them first - they may be able to open the door for you within the lab section - or they may outsource the work, so might give you an introduction to the company they use.

It might sound weird, but don't use the term work experience when you contact anybody. Say 'offer to help out' 'be an extra pair of hands' That kind of thing.
    For some employers the term 'work experience' has very negative connotations (Put 'Harry and Paul Work experience' into youtube!)
    After the Council, tried local schools? Schools SHOULD be offering apprenticeships, just like councils: Theyt should be setting an example to other employers.

Have a great CV ready - show your practical and scientific skills. But call/email/chase them -show you are keen or they will ignore you. (I used to work for a publishing company and we had a policy of ignoring work experience applications unless they followed it up.)
    Good luck- don't give up, but have a plan B - apprenticeships are always tricky to get started.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.