Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sims 2 External Hard Drive issues. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I recently bought a 500GB external hard drive to attempt to play my Sims 2 games off, as I don't want to slow down my laptop too much. When installing the base game it all worked fine, installing most of it to my EHD then a small amount onto my laptop. The game then ran perfectly.

I then attempted to install University expansion pack, which is the first in the sequence. I installed it to the same place, and the installation was fine until it asked me to insert disc 4 of the base game, at which point it said there was an error and cancelled the entire installation (a bar similar to the original install bar came on screen and went down from 100% to 0%). After this happened the base game no longer worked and my computer said it had been uninstalled, so I had to reinstall it.

Can anyone help with this? I've looked on many forums and some say something about moving My Documents but I have no idea how to do this.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Installing games on external harddrives doesn't always work: sometimes the game requires a higher speed of file access than the data transfer of the hard drive can offer. I'd be surprised about this happening for Sims 2 since it's a fairly old game now, but it's the first think that pops into my head.

Try swapping out some files on your laptop onto the harddrive to make space for the Sims games? They're not very big, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, its all working fine with just Sims 2 base game, its the expansion packs I am having a problem with.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.