Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Higher Exams. Advice needed from 6th and 5th year pupils. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so everybody says that the Easter holidays are for studying when you're doing your Highers. I'm genuinely worried now because I haven't been revising until 3 days ago, which is ridiculous. I always do this. I never study but I manage to do really well (not to sound arrogant) so it's just an endless cycle. I'm not really worried about French, German or English but I'm incredibly worried about Modern Studies and Maths as I did quite badly in the Modern Studies and Maths prelims. I feel like such a douche for not studying but I'm glad I got this resting time prior to having to study non stop from now on. For people who have already done their highers, did you study a great deal in the Easter holidays? And did you badly in your modern studies prelim compared to your exam. For people who are doing their highers, have you been studying a lot? Also, I have university offers this year and I need to get 4As and a B (that's my highest offer) so I'm panicking now.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by zaemaxo)
    Okay, so everybody says that the Easter holidays are for studying when you're doing your Highers. I'm genuinely worried now because I haven't been revising until 3 days ago, which is ridiculous. I always do this. I never study but I manage to do really well (not to sound arrogant) so it's just an endless cycle. I'm not really worried about French, German or English but I'm incredibly worried about Modern Studies and Maths as I did quite badly in the Modern Studies and Maths prelims. I feel like such a douche for not studying but I'm glad I got this resting time prior to having to study non stop from now on. For people who have already done their highers, did you study a great deal in the Easter holidays? And did you badly in your modern studies prelim compared to your exam. For people who are doing their highers, have you been studying a lot? Also, I have university offers this year and I need to get 4As and a B (that's my highest offer) so I'm panicking now.
    Don't compare yourself to other people. Trust me: it's not going to help!

I didn't study at all over Easter, but between the end of April and the May exam I studied like a boss for English, didn't study for any other subjects, and came out with AAAAA. Other people put in 5 hours every day, and still don't manage to get the grades - it depends on the person and how they work. I think the reason I did so well was simply because I was super productive with my class time and thus didn't really need to study outside of class.

It's not the hours you put in that matters: it's what you do with them. 2 hours of good study is better than 6 hours of crap study.
    You can't go back and change the past now, you just have to sort it out NOW and do your best for the future. This means actually studying, and studying efficiently. There are lots of revision and study tips around the forum, and you can learn a lot by looking around.

Oh, btw. I got a D in my English prelim. So if I can pull that up to an A with a month of hardwork, you can do the same with your Maths and Modern Studies!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)

I didn't study at all over Easter, but between the end of April and the May exam I studied like a boss for English, didn't study for any other subjects, and came out with AAAAA. Other people put in 5 hours every day, and still don't manage to get the grades - it depends on the person and how they work. I think the reason I did so well was simply because I was super productive with my class time and thus didn't really need to study outside of class.

It's not the hours you put in that matters: it's what you do with them. 2 hours of good study is better than 6 hours of crap study.
    You can't go back and change the past now, you just have to sort it out NOW and do your best for the future. This means actually studying, and studying efficiently. There are lots of revision and study tips around the forum, and you can learn a lot by looking around.

Oh, btw. I got a D in my English prelim. So if I can pull that up to an A with a month of hardwork, you can do the same with your Maths and Modern Studies!!!
    i feel that I'm the same - I tend to take in everything we learn in class and therefore find it really difficult to actually go home and go over again, as I just find it incredibly boring. I know that I don't really need to study for English, French and German. It's just Modern Studies that worries me mostly as it's so soon. I just wanted some reassurance that it is possible to get 5As after having not studied at Easter time. I just panick when I hear that others have been studying. I'm the kind of person that's never really studied before so I'm definitely finding fifth year slightly weird. Congratulations on your amazing results from fifth year and thank you for the tips and the reassurance
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    i feel that I'm the same - I tend to take in everything we learn in class and therefore find it really difficult to actually go home and go over again, as I just find it incredibly boring. I know that I don't really need to study for English, French and German. It's just Modern Studies that worries me mostly as it's so soon. I just wanted some reassurance that it is possible to get 5As after having not studied at Easter time. I just panick when I hear that others have been studying. I'm the kind of person that's never really studied before so I'm definitely finding fifth year slightly weird. Congratulations on your amazing results from fifth year and thank you for the tips and the reassurance
    Here's a thread that might help.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2314579

ReputationRep:
    Wow - same situation as me and I'm taking the same subjects as you bar one (taking history instead of maths). Like you, my effort (or lack of) this holiday has been pitiful. I would like to start revising but, again, I've managed to get away with doing the bare minimum in the past (AAABC in prelims) but am aiming for 5As. I got a B for modern studies (66%) in the prelim and I find it an incredibly frustrating subject. It's not that the actual content is difficult, but rather my time management is an issue and (apparently) my handwriting is bordering on illegible. I find it difficult to structure essays in the time given and as for the DME I find it hard to read all the sources and synthesise them in one hour. I managed to get a B with night-before revision, so I just keep telling myself that if I can manage that with such limited revision it won't take mass amounts of work to get an A. I also didn't do so well in English, gaining only 56%, which was due to poor time management - I got 19 in one essay, yet 9 in another.
    I've started to develop a guilty conscience about my lack of revision (seeing friends' statuses on twitter/instagram about the hours of graft they've been putting in doesn't help!), and have started to wonder if I should really have started doing hardcore stuff now.
    However, a lot of them are doing rather intense combinations such as 3 social sciences, maths, English or 3 sciences, maths and English which I think probably has a lot more content to get through than my combination. For example, there's not much to revise for French and German and I am going into these exams only focusing on my 3 other subjects in effect.
    Don't stress about other people working ridiculous hours. After all, they may just be sitting at a desk absent-mindedly copying out notes without really taking it all in. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll get better grades than you. Without meaning to sound arrogant, I barely worked for prelims, and whilst my results were in no way spectacular they were better than some people's who'd spent weeks revising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)

Hi Hype,
    Sorry for bugging you, but is it difficult to improve rapidly in CR for English? I got 28/50 in the prelim, although I probably would have got 32 or so if I'd had the time to complete my answers. Ideally, I'd like to be aiming for marks in the region of 36-38 for the real exam. Also, do you have tips regarding how to structure essays for the CEs? I find it difficult to plan methodically.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    and have started to wonder if I should really have started doing hardcore stuff now.
    Yes. Start now.

(Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    Hi Hype,
    Sorry for bugging you, but is it difficult to improve rapidly in CR for English? I got 28/50 in the prelim, although I probably would have got 32 or so if I'd had the time to complete my answers. Ideally, I'd like to be aiming for marks in the region of 36-38 for the real exam. Also, do you have tips regarding how to structure essays for the CEs? I find it difficult to plan methodically.
    Don't worry about it. I don't know why everyone keeps asking me for help with English, it's been 2 years since I've studied it, and it's a subject that I hated and didn't care about.

I think my prelim CR was something like 26/50. I just sat down and did past papers, and did what my teacher/the 'How to Pass Higher English' book told me to. You can definitely improve - write concisely as possible and don't repeat yourself. Another tip I was given was to aim to write half-a-mark to a mark extra for analysis answers.
    If you're running out of time, you're probably just writing too much without saying much of substance. Say as much as you can in as little space as possible; that's the art.

Structuring your essay is honestly easy as piss because every single essay can follow the exact same structure:

Introduction - Mention: Text, Author, Reference to the question, Techniques you're going to look at. TART.
    Main body - Statement, Evidence, Analysis (make sure everything relates to the question; look at the techniques you mentioned). SEA.
    Conclusion - Summing up your points, and relating to the question.

Your introduction is going to be the exact same for every single essay, so the time you spend writing the intro is when you do all your planning - deciding what you're going to talk about; deciding what quotes would be good to use.

"Choose a piece of prose in which a character is flawed, but yet remains admirable."

"[Title of text]" is a [type of text] by [author] in which [character] is deeply flawed, yet admirable to the reader. [very brief piece about the character]. [Author] shows this through his use of [techniques]"

Every single introduction I ever wrote for Higher English looked like that.

Then each paragraph I wrote as part of the main body followed the same SEA format. Normally I'd look at 3 techniques, maybe two. My memory is a bit fuzzy here, but I think that if I was looking at 3 techniques I'd do 2 paragraphs related to one technique, and then one paragraph for each of the other techniques, before going onto the conclusion. The question I've chosen above was one from my exam: I think I looked at characterisation, juxtaposition and symbolism as my techniques. Maybe it was setting instead of juxtaposition.

Then in the conclusion, I just tied all the points I made together and hammered home my point. Maybe even something a little bit sensationalist as my last sentence to hammer home my message like "even going as far as making the ultimate sacrifice by giving his own life for the sake of the greater good."

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.