Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello i'm around half way through my driving lessons at the minute, and i have seen many fiat stilo's on ebay going for around £1500. Would this be a good first car to have? Has anyone else had one as a first car and how was it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked the insurance on them? Don't fall into the trap of buying something and then realising that insurance prices are insane - it does happen!

The Fiat Stilo is not that great a car to be honest, I can't think of a reason to buy one over a Ford Focus or a Vauxhall Astra due to the poor build quality and electrical gremlins. Not really worth the risk!

A 2 minute jaunt on eBay reveals there are lots of much nicer cars out there for that price, here is just an example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-FORD-...item27d1a4b370

£1250 would probably bag that.

ETA - it doesn't look good for the Stilo:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar.../?section=good

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, i got quoted on a 1.2 stilo, 2.2k with the black box.
    My postcode is DN31 if you could check for another one around my area.

ReputationRep:
    Man drive around da hood wid dat, he pick up girl, da best best car

ReputationRep:
    You live in an insurance category C, which is quite good (compared to my "refer"(worse than F) category)

Are you looking at co-op black box insurance? I got my quote down to 1300 on a fiat punto year 2000(Stilo was too expensive to insure) if i added a second driver, and said they where doing 5-6k miles a year (in reality they are not really driving it, but having a second driver with more miles, brings the cost down).

You should try as many quotes as you can with different registration plates you see on car listings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak_93)
    You live in an insurance category C, which is quite good (compared to my "refer"(worse than F) category)

Are you looking at co-op black box insurance? I got my quote down to 1300 on a fiat punto year 2000(Stilo was too expensive to insure) if i added a second driver, and said they where doing 5-6k miles a year (in reality they are not really driving it, but having a second driver with more miles, brings the cost down).

You should try as many quotes as you can with different registration plates you see on car listings.
    To get insurance for £1300 is pretty good, how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElliottBurris)
    To get insurance for £1300 is pretty good, how old are you?
    Just turned 20, when i was 19 it was 1700 - 1800 (co-op black box )

without the second driver it was 2.2k
    if i put the second driver as doing less miles that me it was 1.6k

small things about the car also make a big difference, the "sport" version of my car was the exact same but a different interior finish, and the insurance went up to 2.2k from 1.3k !

Also i found the co-op does not only use car insurance categories, it does take the actual car into consideration so a Corsa that is in category 2 vs a Punto that is in category 2 will not both produce the same quote. So that's why i think its helpful when looking cars on ebay/gumtree/autotrader to just keep getting quotes as you may find a car that happens to be of a low risk to co-op

And if anybody is interested i found the cheapest car to insure was a Daewoo Matiz year 1999 SE model (not SE+) so you can use that to compare to whatever car you are thinking of getting (such as the stilo in the OP's case)

ReputationRep:
    Most insurance companies do not look at the insurance groups for young drivers - my car is group 33 and costs me £620 a year, but my Mum's car (1.2 Corsa) is group 5 and my quote was £1500 on it.

Have you thought about something like a Ford Mondeo? I had a MK3 1.8 LX when I was 18, and insurance was very cheap on that. Was a great car too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak_93)
    Just turned 20, when i was 19 it was 1700 - 1800 (co-op black box )

without the second driver it was 2.2k
    if i put the second driver as doing less miles that me it was 1.6k

small things about the car also make a big difference, the "sport" version of my car was the exact same but a different interior finish, and the insurance went up to 2.2k from 1.3k !

Also i found the co-op does not only use car insurance categories, it does take the actual car into consideration so a Corsa that is in category 2 vs a Punto that is in category 2 will not both produce the same quote. So that's why i think its helpful when looking cars on ebay/gumtree/autotrader to just keep getting quotes as you may find a car that happens to be of a low risk to co-op

And if anybody is interested i found the cheapest car to insure was a Daewoo Matiz year 1999 SE model (not SE+) so you can use that to compare to whatever car you are thinking of getting (such as the stilo in the OP's case)
    Dawewoo matiz are the best cars to have as your 1st or 2nd car. I've only just bought one and I've paid £554 for my insurance with diamond! I'm 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeordieFan)
    Hello i'm around half way through my driving lessons at the minute, and i have seen many fiat stilo's on ebay going for around £1500. Would this be a good first car to have? Has anyone else had one as a first car and how was it?

Thanks
    I would say no, you can do far better........easily find a nice VW polo 2002 shape with the 4 eyes, possibly the newer toyota corolla shape as well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Thanks
    Like other people have said, check the insurance of any car before you buy it, as you dont want to buy a car then realise its expensive on insurance.
    I think you should stay away from fiat stilos. Fiats (especially older ones) can be known for electrical faults, which can be difficult and expensive to fix (i had a fiat punto- never again!). Id go for something else like a fiesta, vauxhall corsa, nissan micra etc etc.

ReputationRep:

Thanks

There are way better cars to buy than this car. £1500 is way too much money for such a car anyway as that type of money puts you behind the wheel of the much better Ford Focus and probably a VW Golf of the same era which are significantly better cars.

I'm quite familiar with buying Alfa Romeos and Fiats having owned quite a few before this. Major problems are the electric power steering system, will cost around £900 for so in just parts if ever it fails. Wiring faults are common especially if it is more than 7 years of age, it's kind of funny but for some reason or another 7 years seem to be the magic number in which most Italian cars start giving electrical or wiring issues, many of them expensive to fix.

The final drawback to it will be the 1.2l engine, while this engine is a very good engine having seen lots of service in many cars, it is simply not a suitable engine for a car this size.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a FIAT. You'll spend loads on getting it repaired.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.