Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I lost both parts of my provisional license last year and ordered a replacement. I surprisingly found my old photo card license in a box under my bed that I'm sure I checked before but oh well. I put it in my handbag to keep safe as I planned on returning it to dvla. I had no idea my new photo card was also in my bag as I rarely carry it around with me and i have so many different cards loose in bag, membership cards, my nus card, debit card etc...I had my test on Monday and took one of the cards but not sure at all if its the new or old one...I honestly didn't think it even mattered as long as one gets destroyed or returned. I passed and they kept my license to send off for my full license. Now im thinking about it im a bit worried that it might be an issue...I have written a letter to them and attached the photocard that I still have and I intend to post it today. Should I include that there's a possibility that it got mixed up? Or should it be ok just as long as it gets returned to them. I really do not want to get into trouble if I sent off my old photocard with my new paper counterpart. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkFlower21)
    I lost both parts of my provisional license while I was moving house last year and ordered a replacement. I surprisingly found my old photo card license in a box under my bed that I'm sure I checked before but oh well. I put it in my handbag to keep safe as I planned on returning it to dvla. I had no idea my new photo card was also in my bag as I rarely carry it around with me and i have so many different cards loose in bag, membership cards, my nus card, debit card etc...I had my test on Monday and took one of the cards but not sure at all if its the new or old one...I honestly didn't think it even mattered as long as one gets destroyed or returned. I passed and they kept my license to send off for my full license. Now im thinking about it im a bit worried that it might be an issue...I have written a letter to them and attached the photocard that I still have and I intend to post it today. Should I include that there's a possibility that it got mixed up? Or should it be ok just as long as it gets returned to them. I really do not want to get into trouble if I sent off my old photocard with my new paper counterpart. Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about it, when you got to the test centre the examiner would have checked the numbers on both parts of the licence to see that they were ok - and as you were allowed to take the test, it should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    I wouldn't worry about it, when you got to the test centre the examiner would have checked the numbers on both parts of the licence to see that they were ok - and as you were allowed to take the test, it should be fine
    Thanks for the reply... I think I might have given my old license as after checking the one I still i have found that it has a bit of the sticky thing on the back and I'm sure that my old license didn't have that. The examiner did say have you ever lost your license which i found strange as it wasn't asked on my first test...and I know that on my first test i definitely had both parts of my new license. but anyway i said yeah this is a replacement and he said ok just make sure you destroy your old one if you find it. I'm about 60% sure that I did in fact give the examiner my old photocard. I think I'll just post them the photocard that I have just to be on the safe side instead of destroying it

ReputationRep:
    Just realised that the start date on it is last year which means that i have the examiner my old photocard. Crap! I'm going to ring dvla and ask what I should do

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you will be fine, the instructor checks you details before the test (I hope he did). But best to phone up anyway. Stops bigger complications down the line.

ReputationRep:
    I called up and I did in fact give the wrong photocard. The guy on the phone said he will make a note of it on the system and told me to send it to the department where the process the licences and that I should include a cover letter explaining what happened. Hope everything turns out to be fine though

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your honesty. You did the right thing. Once the duplicate green card arrives at DVLA all will be well and you'll have the new pink photocard soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Thank you for your honesty. You did the right thing. Once the duplicate green card arrives at DVLA all will be well and you'll have the new pink photocard soon.
    Thanks for the reply. Someone suggested to me that they might cancel my pass as I gave in my old/invalid licence....I am petrified now! I have posted a letter along with my new/valid photocard and really hope that I don't have any issues in getting my licence, so much time money and effort went into passing my test...I feel so silly for making that mistake, that's what I get for being unorganised!

ReputationRep:
    You've done the right thing. I've just looked it up and I believe that the examiner electronically scans your details and sends it to the dvla and then puts the provisional licence in a shredder to be destroyed. Not sure how the electronic system works but one of two things probably would have happened...1. They might not have even noticed or 2. The photo card and counterpart flagged up as not being matched and they contacted you to send the correct photo card, causing a delay in receiving your licence.

Also, its not like you tried to do your test based on invalid/old both parts of your licence and hoped that they wouldn't notice. You have a valid licence that unfortunately go mixed up with your old one. I don't see why they would have a problem especially as you have immediately provided your correct photo card and dealt with the issue swiftly.
    I also believe that the counterpart is more important as it contains any points you have, and the barcode which is probably what the examiner scans. The photocard is mainly just for identification purposes. Seeing as you gave the correct counterpart I wouldn't worry. And as long as the all the personal details and photo are the same on the photocard I personally don't see why it would be an issue.
    If anything they should be grateful that you were honest. You could have deliberately tried to hold back the newer one and hoped they wouldn't notice. They might send you a letter telling you off and reminding you why they require you to destroy or return lost licences ( that have been replaced) immediately but that's probably as far as it will go. I assume you will have your full licence within about 2 weeks

ReputationRep:
    Before I started the test the examiner was like have you ever lost your licence...and I could tell that he probably spotted something by the way he looked at me so I'm not sure if he realised or not. I jut really hope that my newer photo card reaches them safe and sound. I am sooo scared right now I can't even enjoy my pass because I'm scared that this might cause problems or that they say that they didn't receive my proper photo card. I think I will call them next week thurs/fri for an update as I know it could take a while to process. I have emailed them and am waiting for a reply. Probably going to be a nervous wreck until they confirm all is well (well I'm hoping they do)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkFlower21)
    Someone suggested to me that they might cancel my pass as I gave in my old/invalid licence....I am petrified now!
    Whoever told you that is either being plain silly or highly misinformed. A pass is a pass and will entitle you to a full licence, the only hiccup being a slight delay in the paperwork. Don't go losing any sleep over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Whoever told you that is either being plain silly or highly misinformed. A pass is a pass and will entitle you to a full licence, the only hiccup being a slight delay in the paperwork. Don't go losing any sleep over it.
    Thanks so much, I've been panicking ever since I realised what had happened. Your reply has made me feel better. I just hope that they receive my proper licence safely and that they have no issue in processing my full licence. It's not like I did it deliberately and hoped that they wouldn't find out or something. Probably wont fully relax until I receive my full licence but thanks for your reply it does make me feel a bit more relaxed now

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.