Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I'm 18 and luck enough to own my own car

The insurance runs out at the end of May, I'm currently in 6th form and going to university (shout out to Gloucestershire) in September. I dont want to take the car with me and will be giving the car back to my parents when I go. However, I want to use the car over the summer months but dont want to insure the car for a whole year for obvious reasons. Is there a way I can insure it for the 2 or 3 months between when the insurence running out and leaving for university?

Thanks, guys!!

ReputationRep:
    not sure. if you want to sell it. pm me.

ReputationRep:
    Yea , just ring the insurance people and say you want it insured between these two dates

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, a lot of insurance companies can adapt the length to suit the customer needs. You can even get insured on a daily basis so I'm sure they'll be able to do something for you!

ReputationRep:
    You can add and remove names on the policy which would affect the cost. Meaning if you get your name on for when you're back and pay for the extra, then take your name off and get refunded some money when you go back to uni. However I think they do charge a fee for editing your policy so it could be quite expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torilikesteeth)
    Ok, so I'm 18 and luck enough to own my own car

The insurance runs out at the end of May, I'm currently in 6th form and going to university (shout out to Gloucestershire) in September. I dont want to take the car with me and will be giving the car back to my parents when I go. However, I want to use the car over the summer months but dont want to insure the car for a whole year for obvious reasons. Is there a way I can insure it for the 2 or 3 months between when the insurence running out and leaving for university?

Thanks, guys!!

That's a dilemma I had before - just ring the insurers to let them know that you'll only be using the car during holidays. That'll reduce your premiums significantly - doing the same because there's no ****ing way I'd be able to take my [future] car 470 miles up to St. Andrews :eek:! I'd rather my mum and dad use it for runabouts rather than their guzzling, 15mpg pig...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.