Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey folks,

I have been given an unconditional for 2nd year of Sociology and Social Policy at Stirling Uni and will be applying for accommodation soon. Just wandering what are the best halls to apply for. Willow Court will most likely be my 1st choice since they're newly built but apart from that what other residences should I apply for?

Thanks
    Nathan

ReputationRep:
    Also it's worth pointing out that I have accepted Stirling's offer as "Insurance", Glasgow is my 1st choice so that is my firm choice, does this have an effect on whether I can apply or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natman--nye)
    Also it's worth pointing out that I have accepted Stirling's offer as "Insurance", Glasgow is my 1st choice so that is my firm choice, does this have an effect on whether I can apply or not?
    Not sure about what accommodation to apply for but I got an email from them saying to activate student account and it was saying that if you have an unconditional you can apply from april 15th and that those with conditional offers have to wait till after august 6th when they'll have met their offers. So I'm thinking that its just those with unconditional that can apply for accommodation now.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone stay in Geddes Court that could tell me what it's ACTUALLY like? I don't know whether to believe the rumours or not.

ReputationRep:
    Geddes isn't actually that bad, Murray is a bit worse and its getting knocked down this year. Best place would be Muirhead or polworth as they don't have a porter at the front door so you can bring mates in anytime. Halls are good, you have a room and you'll meet cracking people. its the people that make it good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McSpoon)
    Geddes isn't actually that bad, Murray is a bit worse and its getting knocked down this year. Best place would be Muirhead or polworth as they don't have a porter at the front door so you can bring mates in anytime. Halls are good, you have a room and you'll meet cracking people. its the people that make it good
    Thanks, think I'm going to apply to AKD, Polwarth, Muirhead and Fraser. I just need to wait until August

ReputationRep:
    Just me or is the Student portal thingy an absolute nightmare?

ReputationRep:
    Is it only people with unconditional offers that can access the portal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keightlynne95)
    Is it only people with unconditional offers that can access the portal?
    I phoned yesterday and they said you can only apply if you accepted an Unconditional - FIRM offer. Since I have Stirling as my Insurance offer, I wasn't able to apply.

ReputationRep:
    I am liking AKD, purely because of the sink in the room. I'd like to be able to brush my teeth, wash my face, get a drink or whatever else, whenever I want. The other ones arent bad either but I really want a sink in my room so that will be my first choice.
    But since I'm going to study nursing I'm not too sure about the Nursing residence because it is cheaper because we have to keep control of the heating and electric, which will cost about the same as on campus residences in the long run, but, it is closer to the hospital and it will be with other nurses..
    I'm also thinking, I don't wanna take myself away from the students doing other subjects. So, I've a big decision to make. any advise or opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarianneY)
    I am liking AKD, purely because of the sink in the room. I'd like to be able to brush my teeth, wash my face, get a drink or whatever else, whenever I want. The other ones arent bad either but I really want a sink in my room so that will be my first choice.
    But since I'm going to study nursing I'm not too sure about the Nursing residence because it is cheaper because we have to keep control of the heating and electric, which will cost about the same as on campus residences in the long run, but, it is closer to the hospital and it will be with other nurses..
    I'm also thinking, I don't wanna take myself away from the students doing other subjects. So, I've a big decision to make. any advise or opinions?
    All of the accommodation barring a minority of rooms in Murray have a sink, it's not just AKD. However ASH has an en-suite if that interests you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarveyCanis)
    All of the accommodation barring a minority of rooms in Murray have a sink, it's not just AKD. However ASH has an en-suite if that interests you.
    Oh, really? It only says that AKD have sinks in the rooms on the website. I'm not bothered about an en suite, a toilet is a toilet and a shower is a shower tbh. :toilet:
    I'm not paying more for a personal piss bowl and a box to shoot water at me lol
    So most of the rooms in all the halls have a sink? That's my only want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarianneY)
    Oh, really? It only says that AKD have sinks in the rooms on the website. I'm not bothered about an en suite, a toilet is a toilet and a shower is a shower tbh. :toilet:
    I'm not paying more for a personal piss bowl and a box to shoot water at me lol
    So most of the rooms in all the halls have a sink? That's my only want
    Yup. This should give you all the information you need. http://www.studaccom.stir.ac.uk/docu...es-charges.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarveyCanis)
    Yup. This should give you all the information you need. http://www.studaccom.stir.ac.uk/docu...es-charges.pdf
    Oh, that's great! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natman--nye)
    I phoned yesterday and they said you can only apply if you accepted an Unconditional - FIRM offer. Since I have Stirling as my Insurance offer, I wasn't able to apply.
    Oh, okay, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You get used to the portal, it'll change once you "register as a student" or something like that. I can't remember exactly.

In all honesty, most rooms across the uni are similar, and almost ever room on campus has a personal sink. If you aren't fussed about sharing toilets and showers, I'd reccommend Geddes, as it's the cheapest, and all the door staff are very friendly. Accommodation for everyone who isn't a firm unconditional will open a couple of days after the exam results come through, and I reccommend getting there quickly so you can get your first choice of accommodation.

As for anyone doing nursing, a lot of the nursing students stay at Alexander Court, and as it's open to everyone, you're mixed in with people from different degree's. But nursing students stay everywhere tbh, I know a few that are in Geddes, and AKD.

Polworth, Muirhead and Fraser will have a smaller group of first year students,a nd contain mostly older students, as AKD, Geddes, and ASH aren't open to returing undergrads (2nd, 3rd, 4th year etc) and so they'll only contain first years.

And now I've ran out of steam.....haha!

ReputationRep:
    Most of what the previous poster has said was useful but just to clarify a couple of things.

The designated nursing accommodation at the moment is indeed Alexander Court but from September it will be Union Street in Stirling City Centre. Nursing students can apply anywhere but as their degree starts a week before everyone else's, if they don't go into the nursing accommodation then they'll need to make alternative arrangements for that first week.

As for the flats, yes there will be smaller groups but they will not be majority returning students as Muirhead, polwarth and most if Fraser will be first year only from September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've just applied for university accommodation for my second year, and Muirhead, Polwarth and Fraser were all options for returning students to choose. If they were designated first year accommodation, why would they be available for returning undergrads? Really confused right now, haha.

ReputationRep:
    As in literally just applied or applied when applications opened a month or so ago?

I'm very confused if they are now open to returners as they were designated first year only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.