Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my second year
    Studying BSc Economics at a very bad UK uni
    Average, first year: 66
    Average, second year: probably between 73-76

I want to study MSc Finance (or related). I have chosen optional modules related to finance, investments, and trading for next year. I will have an internship at a small (and completely unknown) accounting/auditing firm this summer.

I will likely leave the UK after doing my MSc, so I am mostly concerned about the reputation of unis in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East (Dubai...).

Do you reckon any of Imperial/Warwick/UCL/Edinburgh/Manchester/Bristol would be realistic alternatives?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    the fact that you go to a "very bad UK uni" is quite irrelevant (what do you mean by very bad uni?)...
    If you do in fact graduate with a first, write a good personal statement, have some relevant work experience/hobbies/activities, good references then of course you have a chance of getting in at Imperial/UCL etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoga91)
    the fact that you go to a "very bad UK uni" is quite irrelevant (what do you mean by very bad uni?)...
    If you do in fact graduate with a first, write a good personal statement, have some relevant work experience/hobbies/activities, good references then of course you have a chance of getting in at Imperial/UCL etc...
    Thanks for your reply. My uni is among the worst in the UK according to league tables.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, the universities care only about your grades at this stage and not about the university name. This is my opinion. The truth is that I have never met anyone from London Metropolitan, Salford, Coventry, Leeds Metropolitan who is doing his/her mastes degree at LSE, Imperial, Cass, but I have met guys who studied at Roehampton (i didn't know this university), Birmingham City ( i thought that was the same with Birmingham University) and Liverpool John Moores. I guess if you have really good references and personal st. you have a lot of chances.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.