The Student Room Group

Surprisingly decent (cheap) ready meals

I'm on a mission to find cheap ready meals for lunch that aren't sandwiches.

Had this today, thoroughly expecting it to be a bit rubbish. It's actually rather nice - and almost tastes like a fresh-cooked risotto. 8/10

Currently in a 'three for £4.50' deal, which qualifies it for my 'lunch must be under £2.50' rule.

Anyone got any other suggestions? Only two rules...

It must be under £2.50

It has to be microwaveable

Reply 1
co-op currently do a half decent range of soups (supposed to be 2 portions, but I just have one to myself for lunch) which are any 2 for £3, and are actually not bad tasting and not bad on the health front either.
Reply 2
Feasters chicken burger £1 7/10 (would be 8 but it goes a little bit soggy)
value-chicken.png
I recommend looking in Tesco. They have a range called Eat, Live, Enjoy. I think the target market is people on diets because most of the meals are 500 calories or less, but they're so tasty! Currently they have a 3 for £5 deal, so that's about £1.67 per meal. Most are microwaveable but I don't think the fajitas are (which is a shame because they're delicious.) There are options like beef chilli, tandoori chicken with rice, and one of my favourites is the Moroccan chicken with couscous. There are also other options including a carbonara, but I don't really like cream or mushrooms :3
Sainsburys basics macaroni cheese 76p is really nice! They have other stuff for 76p which I haven't tried like lasagne and a few other things :smile:
Original post by shooks

Had this today, thoroughly expecting it to be a bit rubbish. It's actually rather nice - and almost tastes like a fresh-cooked risotto. 8/10

Currently in a 'three for £4.50' deal, which qualifies it for my 'lunch must be under £2.50' rule.

It must be under £2.50

Those risotto's with milk, instead of water... :coma:

Mug Shot Pasta is only £0.99 at Tesco.
You just add boiling water. :teehee:
Reply 6
Did you know Colgate used to make microwave meals back in the 80's but they failed and withdrawn. Just thought I'd leave you with that fact.
Reply 7
Think this might be helpful for you.

How to make awesome ramen - Imgur.jpg
Sainsburys chicken tikka massala is absolutely beautiful, although it is high in calories, fat, salt etc. last time I was there it was 2 curries and a side dish for a fiver which I thought was a very good deal

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
c67be0b1-e773-404a-bb00-34e03778b492_Spec2_v1_m56577569834359023.jpg £2.20 at sainsbury's - 3 for £6, beef lasagne is personally my favourite but they do have other italian style meals such as carbonara and macaroni cheese etc. :smile:
Original post by avéry
Think this might be helpful for you.

How to make awesome ramen - Imgur.jpg

Great suggestions all - cheers. I love this ramen link. Too much info for my Friday afternoon head, but I will take a proper look next week and rustle one of these up. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by shooks

It must be under £2.50

Can't I just go to the Chicken shop :colone:
2 piece chicken and chips with a drink is £2 in my area :biggrin:

Other then that, you can pick up a packet of couscous, some pepper, salt and some spice. Or semolina with some bread/tortillas.
(edited 11 years ago)
004606.jpg

About £1.40 and really delicious :smile: (also low-calorie)
Reply 13
bbb.jpg
Original post by shooks

It must be under £2.50

The Sainsbury's Basics ready meals are under £1 and are delicious.
Reply 15
Heinz soup - you can buy four cans for £3.00. Say you have half a can for lunch, that's eight lunches for £0.75 each! (plus a few pence for a bit of bread to go with it).
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258156783

Also - Tesco Everyday Value Noodles, £0.15 for a packet! :awesome: I bought them when I was really skint and expected them to taste awful, but they're actually very tasty!
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255630848
You can stir in chicken or Quorn meat too, if you want to add something - although they're quite filling on their own.

:smile:
These Heinz pasta pouches are brilliant, and only £1.30 each. I don't normally like microwave pasta as it's too watery or hasn't got enough flavour, but these are lovely. Needs a piece of bread to mop up the remaining sauce though.

Pasta-Pouch-group_420x162.png
Reply 17
You know you culd just make and freeze soup for about 20P a portion...this stuff is going to give you cancer.
Original post by therisenmitten
004606.jpg

About £1.40 and really delicious :smile: (also low-calorie)

They've been 75p for the past few weeks where I live :wink: (2 for £1.50)
Reply 19
Korean pot noodles. Can't remember the name of the brand but I am pretty sure you can get them or similar from a chinese supermarket. So much more flavourful than english pot noodles. The spicy ones actually taste like chilli instead of just being hot and I had one that actually had freeze dried shrimp in it. Never seen anything like that in english ones.

Quick Reply

Latest