Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I saw this video on YouTube about evolution and a biologist stated in it that modern biology relied upon evolution. I'm wondering what he means by "modern biology" and could you give some examples on how it relies on evolution?
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    Hello,
    I saw this video on YouTube about evolution and a biologist stated in it that modern biology relied upon evolution. I'm wondering what he means by "modern biology" and could you give some examples on how it relies on evolution?
    Modern biology basically refers to biology as we know it today; the current state of what our theories say about life.

Without evolution, life as it stands just simply doesn't make sense. In explaining why something in biology works, we can explain how it works and what it is about the unit of life that makes it work that way; this is the mechanical explanation. However, that doesn't explain why life is the way that it is. Why do cells have this particular feature? Why is eukaryotic and prokaryotic protein synthesis different when it's fulfilling the exact same job? Why is there such a similarity in function, structure and genetics between organisms of the same order? Why do differences exist where they do? Without evolution, we can't answer any of these questions. Without evolution, life simply doesn't make sense.
    That's why modern biology relies on evolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    Hello,
    Hype en Encosse has posted so I'm guessing its been clarified.

But to give an example, for biology to rely on evolution to explain why parents care for their young, one would say it is a behaviour "built in/hard wired by evolution" (ie natural selection, provided an advantage, etc.) to make sure the children are protected, and then survive to adulthood when they can reproduce and continue the species. As if the child often died young (without care), the human population would fall dramatically.

Hope this helped.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Modern biology relates to what we perceive of the world around us bioligically. Since evolution is not simply a debatable affair but a life giving creative phenomenon, so it must form the basis of biology. The rest has been said :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.