Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

CHARITY SCAM at University Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I went to University today to do some studying as I arrive a pregnant, apparently deaf lady came up to me and gestured that I should sign something, I read it and it stated something like....

We are collecting money for the handicapped blah blah blah,

I straight away realised something was wrong, they looked shifty, they were all "deaf", they had no ID and it was obviously a con.

I called security and they thanked me and said i did the right thing and and they were dealt with. I googled Gypsy mute scam online and so much came out it is actually a pandemic in Europe.

Have any of you had similar dealings with these scumbags?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I refuse to donate money to people who just come up and ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, I gave money to some of these people in Avignon once. They approached me coming out the Palais des Papes.

This really sad-looking young woman came up to me with a piece of paper and I couldn't bring myself to say no. In fact I'd found 10 euros on the floor so I thought "hell, might as well do the decent thing and give it to charity".

I've been kicking myself ever since. Disgusted that I let myself be pressured into giving away money to a random stranger like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreedofMaurus)
    So I went to University today to do some studying as I arrive a pregnant, apparently deaf lady came up to me and gestured that I should sign something, I read it and it stated something like....

We are collecting money for the handicapped blah blah blah,

I straight away realised something was wrong, they looked shifty, they were all "deaf", they had no ID and it was obviously a con.

I called security and they thanked me and said i did the right thing and and they were dealt with. I googled Gypsy mute scam online and so much came out it is actually a pandemic in Europe.

Have any of you had similar dealings with these scumbags?
    Yes (unfortunately!), they are all over the streets of Paris, they almost had me out of €10!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.