Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'll be completely open with this as I'm asking for some guidance towards what I should read into, not for someone to give me the answer!

I am studying Bsc Economics and this current assignment is worth 50% of my applied economics module mark for the year so I want to ensure I do not miss anything out!

"Examine the proposition that there exists a correlation between the rate of inflation and the level of unemployment. Explain the significance of your results."

I currently have in mind to:
    • Talk about the Philips Curve (short term and long term effects)
    • Talk about Friedman and stagflation
    • Take ONS statistics for unemployment and inflation and perform a correlation coefficient

Any recommended reading, theories or suggestions of points that I should cover are very welcome.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Make the point that unemployment only really influences the rate of inflation in terms of the part of inflation that is governed by wages. High unemployment usually means a tough labour market, weaker bargaining power for workers and unions, and slow wage growth. Low unemployment means a buoyant labour market and more bargaining power for workers who are in short supply.

However unemployment does not have impact on the price of individual commodities, food, oil, energy etc. These are set by supply and demand interactions in world markets. So if inflation is being driven by rising prices in these, then higher unemployment is not going to stop that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.