Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you prefer driving alone or with someone else in the car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've only just recently started driving after passing my test back in December. When I first had to go out on my own I was terrified and asked my boyfriend to come out with me for support but now I've been out on the roads on my own, I MUCH prefer driving alone. I don't really know why, maybe because I find it easier to concentrate when I'm on my own or maybe because I can sing along to the radio as loudly and badly as I like

So which do you prefer, driving alone or with someone else in the car?

ReputationRep:
    Alone. I concentrate more. When my friends are with me, even if it's just the one, I feel like I'm not concentrating to the best of my ability because I'm listening to them talk.

ReputationRep:
    Alone. I can't be bothered to talk when I'm driving.
    It's not that I can't concentrate if they're talking.. I just can't be bothered to respond to them.

ReputationRep:
    On my own, firstly because you gotta love a good ole sing song! haha
    and it's so much easier on my own, no-one to impress (not in a show off way) but when i had my friend with me the other day i was trying so hard to ensure i never braked sharply and all my gear changed were smooth haha whereas when I'm on my own i just driver and don't think about those things (they seem to come naturally so i don't know why i think about them when other people are in the car) lol

ReputationRep:
    I only started driving yesterday ( after passing about 2 months ago ) and I've drove multiple times on my own and with parents. I much prefer driving on my own, today I've done the same drive to the supermarket both along and with my dad yet the one on my own went much smoother because I wasn't worried about having to do everything perfectly so it just happened.

It comes with time I suppose but yeah definitely feel more comfortable driving on my own.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really mind who is in my car, so long as they don't backseat drive!

If I am going for a "spirited" drive I prefer to be alone though.

ReputationRep:
    It depends. I really can't stand backseat drivers. If I'm going for a short drive or to an event I prefer to have people in the car. But for long journeys I much prefer to be alone, I quite enjoy driving, so a nice long drive through country lanes with some nice chilled tunes and some lovely views is like a treat for me. Only get to do it ever few months though

ReputationRep:
    Both have their merits. Having passengers gives you a sort of 'functional' enjoyment (and that's probably an ego thing - you end up at the centre of it all because you are, quite frankly, the most important person in the car). I don't have many close friends who have their own pink piece of plastic, so sometimes the put-upon feeling creeps in.

That said, winding along a sunny (though not blindingly so) country road alone is one of life's great pleasures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyshamblesxx)
    So I've only just recently started driving after passing my test back in December. When I first had to go out on my own I was terrified and asked my boyfriend to come out with me for support but now I've been out on the roads on my own, I MUCH prefer driving alone. I don't really know why, maybe because I find it easier to concentrate when I'm on my own or maybe because I can sing along to the radio as loudly and badly as I like

I prefer driving alone.
    Basically because if im driving on my own, i havent got anyone there to judge my driving or make comments (my dad is quite bad for doing that). I can get a bit paranoid about what people think of my driving. I can also have whatever music i want on, and can sing as badly as i want.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy driving with a friend just because i get bored by the radio, but not with my mum and dad as they will defiantly judge my driving lol

ReputationRep:
    It depends... If I'm driving a route I know well, I'd rather be alone. I can sing along to my iPod and relax, I know where I'm going so I'm quite happy to be on my own!
    If, however, I'm driving somewhere for the first time and I have no idea where I'm going, I'd rather have someone in the car with me to give me directions etc.

I hate having my parents in the car with me though :yucky: so it'd have to be a friend or my brother. Or a SatNav maybe.

ReputationRep:
    On the most part I would be quite happy to drive alone, but I think on a long journey it can get quite dull without someone there

ReputationRep:
    Depends on my mood, but for the most part it's nice having some company in the car now and then.

Having said that, most of the unfortunate events I've had with my cars, one particular friend has always been present at the time. Hmm...

ReputationRep:
    Prefer driving alone.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the journey... if it's short local trips I could care less.
    If it's a long journey I prefer to swap every 70 miles or so to stay fresh.

ReputationRep:
    I feel more under pressure when there are others in the car, so for that reason, I prefer driving alone.

ReputationRep:
    With someone else (depends who though). I'm so used to driving alone that it's nice to have a bit of company in the car once in a while :-)

ReputationRep:
    Early on when I first passed my test I was so caught up in the act of driving it was pointless having anyone else in the car since I wouldn't really talk. These days, it's second nature so I talk far more and as a result, I quite like having someone else in the car.

ReputationRep:
    I like driving alone, I drive quite good when I am alone, however I don't mind someone being in the car with me, depends how mature they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyshamblesxx)

Someone else in the car, because they can check the blind spot for me; can alert me of any dangers; can navigate me if I'm lost; can entertain me; can give me advice such as getting past a roundabout; can tell me if there are any speed cameras; and probably most importantly, you need them to guide you when parallel parking.

I just feel that when someone is there, I can drive safely. I have been in near accidents before, simply because I was a bit careless or couldn't see the road ahead. Sometimes that person next to you can be useful, whether they don't know how to drive or are too young.

I have driven well with someone next to me and so have my parents.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.