Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best way to revise for Hazed perception? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Currently using drivingtheory4all.com To study the first part but the does not seem to be anything to help with the hazard perception part from videos. Does anyone know any good tips or tricks to help revise this part

ReputationRep:
    The official hazard perception disk is a bit crap as it only has 1 set of practise videos. I used an older hazard perception disk made by unofficial company but it was still very good. I found a link to their newest edition on amazon:
    Amazon

Here is what I did on my theory test:
    Click once as soon as you spot a hazard. Click again a bit before you have to slow down/change direction. Click a third time only if the hazard develops. If you miss the chance to do any of the clicks, do not spam click 3 times.

Usually the important hazards involve: pedestrians who might cross, horses, stopped cars, stationary cars with indicator/hazard lights switched on, cars about to pull out, cars changing lanes (specially to overtake a slow vehicle).

Do not rapidly click on hazards that are potentially unimportant (mud, signs, traffic lights), it's better to get a lower score then to get 0.

This sort of gurantees you should atleast get some points and you need an average of 3 points on each video (2*3 on the double hazard video) to pass.

ReputationRep:
    I used that exact disk that dada55 recommended. Not only does the hazard perception work exactly as it will do on your test, they also have a very large number of clips so you'll always have a fresh clip to practice on rather than just memorizing where the hazards are.

It also comes with the added bonus that the theory test within it is very similair to the actual test so by the time you go into your theory test you'll already be ready for how it'll look and what you have to do when. All that's left is for you to revise the material.

ReputationRep:
    i have the same "driving test success" DVD as the above posters, it has literally hundreds of hazard perception clips and like 500 theory questions, its only a few pounds as well. get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    i have the same "driving test success" DVD as the above posters, it has literally hundreds of hazard perception clips and like 500 theory questions, its only a few pounds as well. get it.
    I second this. I revised with this nearly every day for a couple of weeks. Passed first time with 55/75 and HP was my weak spot. Get it OP!

ReputationRep:
    ''LDC driving test complete''
    is pretty good

ReputationRep:
    I passed a few days ago with 49 + 56

My tips for the HP would be:
    1. Identify what roads your on as it will be a help with identifying potential hazards - e.g country roads = animals, giving way to cars etc.
    2. Click 2-3x for each developing hazard, I would click once and click like .5-1 sec later to try ensure I get the points
    3. Stay alert - the clips are pretty boring and predictable in a way I must say but stay alert ! ( I lost 5 marks cause I didn't click when the car was about to run over some sheep !!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea you had to click several times. I thought you only clicked once to identify the hazard. :confused:

Or are you guys clicking several times just to make sure you get it? The lack of official information is so rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    I had no idea you had to click several times. I thought you only clicked once to identify the hazard. :confused:

Or are you guys clicking several times just to make sure you get it? The lack of official information is so rubbish.
    You do only have to click once but it's always good to click again just to make sure. On mine I clicked multiple times only because when practicing there were a few occasions where my click was a fraction before where the computer said it started so I got no marks for the hazard even though I'd seen it.

ReputationRep:

AFAIK, at least 2 clicks are needed for the developing hazards:
    You click as soon as you spot a potential hazard, and then click again as soon as you see that it will develop.
    The 3rd click I recommended is because sometimes you might click outside the range of time points of the clip because you realised the hazard was going to develop earlier than the "earliest acceptable time".

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, its not particularly very good.

When it happens, the computer program counts down from a high score, to a low score, and when you click, gives you your score. So if you are late, you may only get a 3 instead of a 4 for example. Clicking multiple times means that if you clicked too early, you may get a higher point.
    Its all a bit screwed up.

You click once you see a possible hazard, and again when you see it getting worse, and click every time something changes, and as a driver, you would have to do something.

For example, you may see a cyclist coming into view. CLICK.
    the cyclist then rotates his/her head to the right (this possibly means he/she wants to turn), CLICK.
    He/she may be looking to check if he/she can safetly move around a parked vehicle, CLICK, and CLICK again to suggest a slowing down that would have to happen on your part to let it past.

Its the easiest part of the test though.

You may have an issue if you click for example by mistake in rhythm, as the computer program senses you are trying to trick the test and won't give you any points for that video.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)

You click once you see a possible hazard, and again when you see it getting worse, and click every time something changes, and as a driver, you would have to do something.
    Oh, I didn't know that. The mock test I was doing on the AA website only gave me points for one click. So I saw a cyclist up ahead as we turned a corner, so I clicked. Then let the video clip run through to the end. Got 5 out of 5 for that one click because I saw it in time. It said nothing about clicking more than once. :confused:

This is what the gov.uk website says about the hazard perception test:

Hazard perception test scoring

The earlier you notice a developing hazard and make a response, the higher you will score.

The most you can score for each developing hazard is 5 points.

To get a high score you need to respond to the developing hazard as soon as you see it starting.

If you click continuously or in a pattern during a clip a message will appear at the end. It will tell you that you have scored zero for that particular clip.

You won’t be able to review your answers.
    The italicised bit tells me you only need to click once.

Who told you guys you need to click more than once?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't know that. The mock test I was doing on the AA website only gave me points for one click. So I saw a cyclist up ahead as we turned a corner, so I clicked. Then let the video clip run through to the end. Got 5 out of 5 for that one click because I saw it in time. It said nothing about clicking more than once. :confused:

This is what the gov.uk website says about the hazard perception test:

The italicised bit tells me you only need to click once.

Who told you guys you need to click more than once?
    In the DVD I got, I'm sure it said to click and click when it develops, just incase the clips first potential hazard wasn't actually the main hazard. i.e a biker appearing in view may be a hazard so I clicked, but it may not be the highest potential hazard to happen in the video, so I clicked as things changed.

i.e one came into view, but then a car started to reverse out of a drive, so the biker had to swerve. CLICK.

I clicked as the car was reversing as a potential hazard, and again when the biker had to swerve.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.