Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if there is already a thread, if not then i thought i'd start one for all applicants thinking of applying for midwifery 2014!

I applied this year for September 2013 but withdrew my application as i don't feel ready!

I'm hoping to start an access course in September and have volunteer work lined up!

I hope to apply to:
    Manchester
    Salford
    Kings
    LSBU
    and City uni

where is everyone else hoping to go!?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jess, Im applying for 2014 Midwifery. My choices are -

Birmingham City
    Wolverhampton
    Worcester

I have some volunteer work in progress as a ward helper at a local hospital and
    I am hoping for some work experience at two other hospitals.Fingers crossed!

Havent started my personal statement yet. Have u?

Laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawinters)
    Hi Jess, Im applying for 2014 Midwifery. My choices are -

Birmingham City
    Wolverhampton
    Worcester

I have some volunteer work in progress as a ward helper at a local hospital and
    I am hoping for some work experience at two other hospitals.Fingers crossed!

Havent started my personal statement yet. Have u?

Laura
    I'll be starting volunteering at my local hospital as a patient support volunteer in A&E and at my local sure start centre!

I have my personal statement from last year which i'm going to use as a template as it definitely needs improving and i'll be able to add to it after starting my volunteering. i'll definitely be starting it within the next few weeks though!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm Sam I'm a mum of 2, currently pregnant (due in July) and will be studying the access to nursing and midwifery course from home in September with a few to starting uni in Oct 2014. I have no experience (apart from being a mum and going through labour) but I'm hoping that I will be able to gain experience during my maternity leave. I'm hoping to apply to:-
    UCLAN
    University of Cumbria
    Edgehill
    Manchester
    Liverpool John Moore and
    Salford
    I have applied to all the uni's for prospectuses and applied to attend an open day at each one. Hopefully being a mature student and a parent won't go against me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm going to be applying for midwifery 2014 too! I'm currently an undergraduate at the University of Manchester studying Psychology. I graduate before summer 2014 so i'll be going straight into my second degree! I've had some work experience with midwives; i worked with a community midwife, on the labour ward and postnatal ward, observed a breastfeeding workshop and helped out in some antenatal classes! hoping that will be enough! what kind of experience/background/qualifications does everyone else have?

My choices at the moment are; Manchester, Salford, York, Edge Hill and Leeds. I may change my Edge Hill option for Liverpool John Moores though. Ideally would love an offer from Manchester!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylady3)
    Hi I'm Sam I'm a mum of 2, currently pregnant (due in July) and will be studying the access to nursing and midwifery course from home in September with a few to starting uni in Oct 2014. I have no experience (apart from being a mum and going through labour) but I'm hoping that I will be able to gain experience during my maternity leave. I'm hoping to apply to:-
    UCLAN
    University of Cumbria
    Edgehill
    Manchester
    Liverpool John Moore and
    Salford
    I have applied to all the uni's for prospectuses and applied to attend an open day at each one. Hopefully being a mature student and a parent won't go against me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It definitely won't go against you! so many applicants are mature and have kids so definitely don't worry about that!

I've applied to go to open days and will be starting an access course in September too! the only problem i have at the moment is whether to apply for midwifery or adult nursing, i just can't seem to decide!

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply to do Midwifery at University of Southampton for 2014, currently finishing off a degree at the moment then I need to do a fast track A level in Biology. Trying to get some relevant work experience is a nightmare as the uni's are really keen to see you've shadowed a midwife, which I am finding to be virtually impossible. Is anyone else having this problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadia21)
    I'm hoping to apply to do Midwifery at University of Southampton for 2014, currently finishing off a degree at the moment then I need to do a fast track A level in Biology. Trying to get some relevant work experience is a nightmare as the uni's are really keen to see you've shadowed a midwife, which I am finding to be virtually impossible. Is anyone else having this problem?
    You don't need A Level Biology to be a midwife! I've been given an unconditional for this year and I don't have it - My A Levels were in History, Economics and English Lit!! So don't worry about that - throw your energy into your application :-) xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baby_pink1000)
    You don't need A Level Biology to be a midwife! I've been given an unconditional for this year and I don't have it - My A Levels were in History, Economics and English Lit!! So don't worry about that - throw your energy into your application :-) xxx
    Oh wow thats great! Which universities have you applied for? I have my A levels in art drama and media at AAC and just finishing my degree in film which I'm hoping to gain a minimum of 2:1. Do you think I should apply for 2013? did you have to have an interview or did you just have a lot of experience? Xxx

ReputationRep:
    I applied for hertfordshire, city, lsbu, kings and middlesex - got unconditional from hertfordshire, got my city interview on Friday and got rejected from the rest. So competitive! So happy to have got i to hertfordshire though. I don't really have loads of experience, shadowed a community midwife but other than that, nothing. Just go for it xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's great thanks! I'm seriously considering applying for this September now!! Not really got anything to loose I guess!! Good luck with your course!!

ReputationRep:
    That's great thanks! I'm seriously considering applying for this September now!! Not really got anything to loose I guess!! Good luck with your course!!
    The application date has closed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess2214)
    The application date has closed!
    Yeah I mean the Unis for the 2013 intake have a deadline of 9th May to have made all their decisions so there wouldn't be any time to apply this year, even as a late applicant.

Just focus your energies on next year :-)

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess2214)
    I've applied to go to open days and will be starting an access course in September too! the only problem i have at the moment is whether to apply for midwifery or adult nursing, i just can't seem to decide!
    I'm exactly the same jess, I'm considering applying to do adult or child nursing as well, then I can train to be a midwife or health visitor.... I may apply to do both midwifery and nursing when I apply though!

To be honest taking a year out will do me good, I can try and gain as much experience as I can. I've been looking at doing Maternity Support work which would look good on my application... I'm so worried that it's so competitive, the more experience you can gain the better! xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same jess, I'm considering applying to do adult or child nursing as well, then I can train to be a midwife or health visitor.... I may apply to do both midwifery and nursing when I apply though!

To be honest taking a year out will do me good, I can try and gain as much experience as I can. I've been looking at doing Maternity Support work which would look good on my application... I'm so worried that it's so competitive, the more experience you can gain the better! xx
    I'm leaning more to adult nursing at the moment as there are so many different areas i could go into and still have the opportunity to apply for midwifery later on in life (if i wanted to)! Make sure your 5 choices are in either midwifery or nursing not both as both careers are so different, you would pretty much most definitely be rejected from all 5 unis!

good luck with finding experience!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm so worried. I'm 26 but haven't got any midwifery experience or had any childbirth experiences of my own. I'm trying to get some experience for applying for the Uni's in Scotland . I've already been through Uni before but don't think that should be an issue. It's just so competetive though. Any tips on finding volunteer shadowing etc experience?

ReputationRep:
    Even if you call your local gp and ask to observe/volunteer there, that's a good start :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linds123)
    Hey, I'm so worried. I'm 26 but haven't got any midwifery experience or had any childbirth experiences of my own. I'm trying to get some experience for applying for the Uni's in Scotland . I've already been through Uni before but don't think that should be an issue. It's just so competetive though. Any tips on finding volunteer shadowing etc experience?

I'm at University now studying midwifery, when I applied I was 18 (I turned 19 before I started the course). I have no experience of birth, and when I applied I didn't have any midwifery experience.
    The experience I did have was volunteering at a Soup Kitchen, work shadowing at a hospital, and I also worked part time at a coffee shop.
    In my interview I just explained how these experiences showed that I was "midwife material", e.g. volunteering in the Soup Kitchen showed I am not judgemental, work shadowing in the hospital gave me an insight into that area of work, and working for 3 years in the coffee shop has given me a good team working ethic.

So yeah, basically just use what you have to try and sell yourself good luck

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at liverpool john moores on december 4th! Any tips???x

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for midwifery 2014 for wolverhampton, birmingham city uni,
    Coventry, staffordshire and edge hill. Has anyone else aplied for midwifery in this uni's or anywhere else? Xx
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.