Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody.

I am planning on studying in the Netherlands but I am wondering how people are planning on funding their studies.

It seems the only way to afford the living expenses over there without delving into large sums of savings is to work whilst studying. How difficult is it to find work if you don't speak Dutch? In the major towns such as Groningen.

Also, it appears that in January 2014 there will be changes made to the finance available, instead of working for 32 hours/month and being eligible for extra financial support, it seems it will change to 56 hours/ month. Would this change affect people starting their degree in 2013, or just those starting after January 2014?

Thanks for any help provided!

ReputationRep:
    Info here, here and here. Yeah basically you can get the tuition fees as a loan, but there's no help with living costs unless you work. Don't know about the 2014 changes - it might be worth phoning up the universities you're thinking of applying to to ask about this.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to butt in but I'm also slightly confused about the funding situation in the Netherlands

So far I have learnt this:
    - Everyone from the UK qualifies for the tuition fees loan
    - You qualify for something if you work 32/56 hours
    - You can apply for grants but don't hold out much hope

Am I correct? Is there anything I've missed?

Also I'm a bit confused by the DUO website. I've been pointed here as the answer to all my questions but it isn't! Further confusion.
    http://www.duo.nl/international_visi...dy_finance.asp

Basically I understand that there is no living cost help (right?), so where else are other people looking? UK bank loans?

Thanks,

T

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you're mostly right. Take a look at the links in my post above. You get the tuition fee loan ("Collegegeldkrediet") just for being an EU citizen (so all Brits qualify, as you said.) Then, if you take paid employment, you get "Studiefinanciering", which comprises a) €266.23 per month as a grant, b) an extra €244.60 per month, also a grant, if you are particularly needy (you have to fill out forms and so on to demonstrate that you need the money). This extra money can also possibly be taken as a loan if you do not meed the need requirements. c) an extra €283.86 per month on top of that, as a loan, if you want it. Plus remember you also get d) your salary for your 32 hrs/week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.