Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people take pride in themselves because of their race.

Sure, every nationality has made great achievements in some way or another and these achievements deserve to be celebrated. But being proud because you're British surely doesn't make sense.

How is your race something to be proud of? It's something you were born into by chance. Being British doesn't reflect your personal achievements or make you deserving of respect.

EDIT: Replace 'race' with 'ethnicity' here, it turns out my definition of 'race' was incorrect. The point still stands though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AvocatDuDiable)

Sure, every nationality has made great achievements in some way or another and these achievements deserve to be celebrated. But being proud because you're British surely doesn't make sense.

How is your race something to be proud of? It's something you were born into by chance. Being British doesn't reflect your personal achievements or make you deserving of respect.
    Pretty much agree, in fact I feel that national/racial pride is actively detrimental to our culture. How are we ever going to get past petty competition if we keep calling people THEM. Immigration debates sicken me, talk of "our" country "our" jobs. Why can't people understand that these immigrants deserve to in this country as much as us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AvocatDuDiable)

Why just being British? :confused::confused:

This sounds very biased..Would you feel the same if a Pakistani guy said it? I doubt not by limiting it to British instead of all peoples...

ReputationRep:
    pride |prʌɪd|
    noun [ mass noun ]
    1 a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of one's close associates, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.

I think it's more likely to relate to the latter two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slickrick666999)
    Why just being British? :confused::confused:

This sounds very biased..Would you feel the same if a Pakistani guy said it? I doubt not by limiting it to British instead of all peoples...
    I was using it as an example.

ReputationRep:
    When I clicked this thread I was expecting something along the lines of this Name:  kkk-robe-l.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  14.7 KB

Race categorizes people whether they like it or not and I think people share an innate sense of being bound to their race/culture/nationality. When people from your background are associated with something good it's normal for a lot of people to feel some sense of fondness for their culture, in the same way others will feel shame when their race is associated with something bad.

ReputationRep:
    But "British" isn't a race....

Anyway, I get your point and I agree with it. I've never understood feeling proud of a country. I kind of understand feeling proud of a family member or whatever but who had what colonies a few hundred years ago seems like a bit of a stretch...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I reckon people confuse racial pride with racial happiness.

ReputationRep:
    People like feeling like they belong to something so they go for the easiest thing they identify with.

Anything which advocates a sense of 'pride' is a stupid idea anyway, only adds to segregation and separation within society.

ReputationRep:
    National and racial pride are not logical things, they are a basic instinct, and a very powerful one.

What is more, they work. Most empires are built on national pride, driven by propoganda or otherwise. That doesn't make them fair or valid or right, it simply makes them strong, whether it's the Roman Republic or the Third Reich (not that one is the antithesis of the other).

In a survival or the fittest situation national pride is a complete necessity, and racial pride ties you by blood, so you can never leave.

However, we have recently entered an unprecedented phase of global cooperation, so it is quite possible we are close to outgrowing the need for it. I would love to live in a completely open global world, but it has to work both ways. As such, I would be wary of dismissing national pride completely, but I agree that it needs to be kept under control.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with you.

I think people say we are proud to be British because we have a monarchy that we can celebrate and we aren't a their world country. But I think to other cultures (for example Spanish, Italian, American) and think that they actually care about their nationality. Their not saying it because everyone else does, they are saying it because they genuinely love their country and the traditions thy keep and the opportunity it offers.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pride meaning the opposite or absence of shame, not pride meaning a sense of achievement. Same as gay pride and various other forms of pride, it's about embracing an identity.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SorryInAdvance)
    Pretty much agree, in fact I feel that national/racial pride is actively detrimental to our culture. How are we ever going to get past petty competition if we keep calling people THEM. Immigration debates sicken me, talk of "our" country "our" jobs. Why can't people understand that these immigrants deserve to in this country as much as us.
    ... Why do they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    What is more, they work. Most empires are built on national pride, driven by propoganda or otherwise. That doesn't make them fair or valid or right, it simply makes them strong, whether it's the Roman Republic or the Third Reich (not that one is the antithesis of the other).
    On the contrary, Ancient Rome was very much a multiethnic society.

Nationalism's actually a pretty new concept, only dating back a couple of hundred years or so. It is, in many ways, a result of the decline of monarchy; if republics and constitutional monarchies don't hold authority over their populations on the basis of divine right (as absolute monarchs claim), then what is the basis for their authority? The idea of 'the nation' has usually been the replacement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Nationalism's actually a pretty new concept, only dating back a couple of hundred years or so. It is, in many ways, a result of the decline of monarchy; if republics and constitutional monarchies don't hold authority over their populations on the basis of divine right (as absolute monarchs claim), then what is the basis for their authority? The idea of 'the nation' has usually been the replacement.
    Interesting. I don't have much in the way of historical qualification, so I'm sure you're right (it makes total sense), but I'm really surprised - it seems like such a core value, to protect your herd.

ReputationRep:
    National and cultural pride makes sense because in a way it defines who you are and what your lifestyle is, the sorts of films you've been exposed to etc.

Any race can have any culture. Race is bugger all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Interesting. I don't have much in the way of historical qualification, so I'm sure you're right (it makes total sense), but I'm really surprised - it seems like such a core value, to protect your herd.
    It's not that it isn't, but nationalism has expanded the sense of who that 'herd' is. There's a difference between your home town and an entire country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    ... Why do they?
    Poor question, a better question would be why don't they? To which i see no answer, everyone is equal in my view or at least they should be ( the fundamental tenant on which i build my morality).
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SorryInAdvance)
    Poor question, a better question would be why don't they? To which i see no answer, everyone is equal in my view or at least they should be ( the fundamental tenant on which i build my morality).
    What a nice sentiment. However it is completely implausible to allow anyone to travel into any country of their choosing as certain countries would be instantly over run while some became desolately empty.

Be realistic.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.