Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    heya,

most of the time i rely on free stuff such as AVG.

However i've been thinking of investing in one of these two but i've read tons of reviews and people seem to say that they are awful for slowing down laptops and computers.

I was wondering how much of this is true and whether they are simply reviews from competitors so people will buy something else?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you'd be best to stick with something free like Microsoft Security Essentials. I've used it for at least 2 years now and have had no problems whatsoever. On my few experiences with Norton, I found it slow and obtrusive.

I'd just keep your money to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocaly)
    heya,

However i've been thinking of investing in one of these two but i've read tons of reviews and people seem to say that they are awful for slowing down laptops and computers.

I was wondering how much of this is true and whether they are simply reviews from competitors so people will buy something else?
    Free stuff is OK as long as your careful on the internet, and use Malwarebytes frequently. Otherwise, as long as your PC is relatibely new there is little to no slowdown with Norton or McAfee.

I have McAfee all access, and it works great. Goes on all my PC's, Android phone and my Mums Mac (yes she insisted :P).

Offers on McAfee at PCWorld (Where I work) with cloud backup (also really great)

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/softwa...28472-pdt.html

Feel free to ask any more questions..

Tom

EDIT - If you want a free one then MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is the best one if your on Windows 7 or before.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just get the free stuff if I were you.

Internet Security is a load of *******s - companies have tried to drive into people's heads the idea that the Internet is out to get you, and without the proper security you will be infested with viruses. The truth is, the average person is not going to come across very dodgy downloads, and even if you do, the free software is plenty good. It's honestly quite difficult to find a virus; common sense is usually sufficient, and free programs don't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    Give Avast! a try, it's the lightest and most effective AV I've ever used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caedus)
    Give Avast! a try, it's the lightest and most effective AV I've ever used.
    Absolute pain to get rid of though... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocaly)
    heya,

McAfee is alright, but it's a massive resource hog when scanning your PC, and does so very slowly (will easily render a 4/5 year old PC unusable whilst it's scanning).

I've found Norton far better, and it comes with features that tone it down when running games and the like.

But as long as you act cautiously on the internet and don't just swagger onto unknown download websites clicking like a maniac you'll be fine with MSE or AVGfree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.