Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello people, I'm just wanting to know how you guys structure your essays for sociology for the 12 mark and 24 mark questions - mainly unit 2 (Education and research methods)

ReputationRep:
    Salam sister Syeda, for EDUCATION AND RM what you need to do for the 12 markers is simply 3 PEEC Paragraphs. What I mean by PEEC Paragraphs is... Point. Evidence. Explain. Criticism /Compare. This is the structure we use in my school and it's pretty useful. So you need to put in a topic sentence for what you are answering and explain it, give an example of an evidence such as a sociologist's study and then criticise it or compare to what another theory says. You are basically arguing your point then going against it in a brief sentence. 20 makers only appear in unit 2 and in FAMILIES AND HOUSEHOLDS UNIT 1, 24 markers apply and you use the same structure for both as follows: INTRO (define key terms, give brief examples of points for you are going to explain in the essay and 2 brief points against you can also say this essay will.... but I would suggest not to because it gives it a more sophisticated touch if you leave it out). MAIN BODY (PEEC) and you need 5 main body paragraphs either 2 for and 3 against or 3 for and 2 against. CONCLUSION (say what side you agree on and briefly state why by stating an argument in your essay. Remember should have 25 minutes to answer the essay to ensure you have enough time to answer the rest of the questions. Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RevisionNad)
    Salam sister Syeda, for EDUCATION AND RM what you need to do for the 12 markers is simply 3 PEEC Paragraphs. What I mean by PEEC Paragraphs is... Point. Evidence. Explain. Criticism /Compare. This is the structure we use in my school and it's pretty useful. So you need to put in a topic sentence for what you are answering and explain it, give an example of an evidence such as a sociologist's study and then criticise it or compare to what another theory says. You are basically arguing your point then going against it in a brief sentence. 20 makers only appear in unit 2 and in FAMILIES AND HOUSEHOLDS UNIT 1, 24 markers apply and you use the same structure for both as follows: INTRO (define key terms, give brief examples of points for you are going to explain in the essay and 2 brief points against you can also say this essay will.... but I would suggest not to because it gives it a more sophisticated touch if you leave it out). MAIN BODY (PEEC) and you need 5 main body paragraphs either 2 for and 3 against or 3 for and 2 against. CONCLUSION (say what side you agree on and briefly state why by stating an argument in your essay. Remember should have 25 minutes to answer the essay to ensure you have enough time to answer the rest of the questions. Good Luck.
    Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the jan 2013 family and household paper i am retaking this unit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neelam123h)
    does anyone have the jan 2013 family and household paper i am retaking this unit
    In retaking it too but I don't have it. I think there's a thread on the questions that were asked in January

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    Hello people, I'm just wanting to know how you guys structure your essays for sociology for the 12 mark and 24 mark questions - mainly unit 2 (Education and research methods)
    Hi just got a lesson on methods in context essay structure which is unit 2. Look at an exam paper first to understand what is going to be written. Note that in AQA, methods in context is only one 20 marker whereby we need to read about an issue going to be explored and choose one research method given to us on the exam to use relating to the issue-- choose not the method you know more about as this is a common mistake in methods in context; intro- define key words if appropriate, generally talk about issue being explored, whether issue being explored will generate qualitative data or quantitative. NOW THIS MAY GET CONFUSING SO CONCENTRATE PLEASE; paragraph 1- state which of the 2 research methods you've chosen and describe 2 disadvantages of the other method which was not picked. paragraph 2- explain 5 strengths of the method picked. paragraph 3- limitations of method picked. paragraph 4- examples of researchers that used your chosen research method-- note that this study needs to be about the unit of education-- i.e research example should be an example of a study on a topic within education. paragraph 5- conclusion- briefly say that your chosen method is better although it has limitations. Make sure you use evaluation in the strengths and limitations part of the essay as you would do in the research methods section too ie. practical costs such as time, funding, access to group being studied, ethical, validity, reliability, representativeness , generalizability, theoretical such as interpretivists or positivists are likely to use. Sorry about the unclear format above. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Hi just got a lesson on methods in context essay structure which is unit 2. Look at an exam paper first to understand what is going to be written. Note that in AQA, methods in context is only one 20 marker whereby we need to read about an issue going to be explored and choose one research method given to us on the exam to use relating to the issue-- choose not the method you know more about as this is a common mistake in methods in context; intro- define key words if appropriate, generally talk about issue being explored, whether issue being explored will generate qualitative data or quantitative. NOW THIS MAY GET CONFUSING SO CONCENTRATE PLEASE; paragraph 1- state which of the 2 research methods you've chosen and describe 2 disadvantages of the other method which was not picked. paragraph 2- explain 5 strengths of the method picked. paragraph 3- limitations of method picked. paragraph 4- examples of researchers that used your chosen research method-- note that this study needs to be about the unit of education-- i.e research example should be an example of a study on a topic within education. paragraph 5- conclusion- briefly say that your chosen method is better although it has limitations. Make sure you use evaluation in the strengths and limitations part of the essay as you would do in the research methods section too ie. practical costs such as time, funding, access to group being studied, ethical, validity, reliability, representativeness , generalizability, theoretical such as interpretivists or positivists are likely to use. Sorry about the unclear format above. Hope this helps!
    Thanks. I understand it more now. We also did a lesson on answering research method 20 mark questions by using the acronym PERVERT - which helped me a great deal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are two good methods which I use:

Point
    Evidence
    Evaluation
    Link to question

OR

Point
    Explain and evaluate
    Reference to question
    Counter-evaluation
    Summary/link

ReputationRep:
    Cool thanks for all the sharing of info!

ReputationRep:
    hey , I really love this structure for research methods. Until now I was really struggling with this part of the exam. But you know the example at then end, could you relate the examples with the strengths and limitations of the study. idk. Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gloriousgloria)
    hey , I really love this structure for research methods. Until now I was really struggling with this part of the exam. But you know the example at then end, could you relate the examples with the strengths and limitations of the study. idk. Thank you very much
    Hi Gloria, ummm I suppose you could if you wanted to- but if you do then do it coherently- I know that for the Main RM section you can embed your example, but for the methods in context we were taught to do the example at the end. Whatever suits you best, but remember under timed conditions you need to be able to write in a clear format for the examiner, which may be difficult when you are embedding an example. Ask your teacher just to make sure and good luck for your exam!

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite stressed as I have an exam tomorrow and I need a more simple explanation on how to answer 10 and 20mark questions please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAIF_23)
    I'm quite stressed as I have an exam tomorrow and I need a more simple explanation on how to answer 10 and 20mark questions please?
    Hi! I have mine tomorrow too . I think for the 20 mark you do:
    Intro: outline any terms and introduce it basically

For each paragraph:
    Knowledge: state a point and a study relevant to the question
    Application: apply it to the question (say why that is relevant/how it answers the question.)
    Evaluation: evaluate it with a study that contrasts, so like 'however, this study actually shows the opposite...'
    Do about 3-4 of paragraphs like that.

Conclusion: pick a side i.e. the overwhelming evidence is that this factor is the most important... etc.

For 10 mark it's basically two paragraphs you would do in a 20 mark essay (with studies etc.) but no intro or conclusion.

Hopefully that helps a little bit?? Good luck for tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks this really helped! I also have my exam tomorrow😁 good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm so screwed I haven't revised the entire methods in context unit

ReputationRep:
    As an A2 student we learn to put in analysis before our evaluation which would impress the examiner and help get you extra marks.
    Analysis is literally linking another theory so for example if you're talking about the nuclear family and functionalism , you can then link in the new right and support your functionalist point with Murray for example therefore providing analysis and then continuing on to your evaluation (a02/3)

ReputationRep:
    hi, I'm trying to write some essays but don't know what to include in the introduction, is there a set structure I should be following for the intro?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2017

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.