Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Strange question: do you have bumps below your knees? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a strange small hard bump on both my legs, they are just below the knees (or beginning of shinbone). It's as if I have small spare knees.
    Does everyone have them? what are they o_0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    I have a strange small hard bump on both my legs, they are just below the knees (or beginning of shinbone). It's as if I have small spare knees.
    O_o

Cannot see any spare knees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    O_o

Cannot see any spare knees.
    They aren't very visible, try rubbing just below your knees. Do you feel a hard small lump on the beginning of your shinbone?

ReputationRep:

I think its this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgood%...latter_disease

ReputationRep:
    get it looked it it might be cancer

ReputationRep:
    Dude that's literally just the top of your shinbone
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by smd4std)
    get it looked it it might be cancer
    Just to reassure you that this is extremely unlikely (tumours aren't usually bone-like), but if you are worried about it, your doctor is the first person to go to.
    Out of interest, it sounds like it's just below the kneecap but not on the shin proper; is it off to one side? The shinbone does have a small protrusion on the "outer" side (ie. away from the other leg) right at the top, still in the area where the skin's texture goes rougher as it goes over the kneecap.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if they've always been there they're probably just part of your shin bone (tibia) called your tibial tuberosity, its where the tendons that go over your knee and attach to your quads insert onto. Everyone has them.

Osgood-schlatters is an unusual disorder of pain and tenderness around that area caused by high energy jumping sports, such as basketball and hurdling, and besides - any unusual growth is rare enough, but near unheard of on the same place on both sides.

ReputationRep:
    If it's accompanied with the associated knee pain and trouble with walking up halls, squatting, running etc. then it could be. I had osgood (and now have another knee problem thanks to it!) and I have the lump you describe - if it is osgood you'll never get rid of it
    Generally osgood manifests during puberty as its related to growing so it might be worth going to your GP just to see if there's anything else it could be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope, can't say I have it, sorry OP!
    Should defo get it checked out by your GP.

ReputationRep:
    I can confirm I was bump

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_3142[1].jpg
Views: 170
Size:  493.6 KB If you mean this, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Well, if they've always been there they're probably just part of your shin bone (tibia) called your tibial tuberosity, its where the tendons that go over your knee and attach to your quads insert onto. Everyone has them.

Osgood-schlatters is an unusual disorder of pain and tenderness around that area caused by high energy jumping sports, such as basketball and hurdling, and besides - any unusual growth is rare enough, but near unheard of on the same place on both sides.
    Yeah I think it's the tibia tubeorisity. Basically it looks a lot like this (on the left, the raised bump)
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hRJ0s2PtZI...1600/01+OS.jpg

(Original post by CodeJack)
    Name:  IMG_3142[1].jpg
Views: 170
Size:  493.6 KB If you mean this, then yes.
    I can't tell from the angle.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it's the tibia tubeorisity. Basically it looks a lot like this (on the left, the raised bump)
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hRJ0s2PtZI...1600/01+OS.jpg

I can't tell from the angle.
    Its basically the same as the one in the image link u posted, on both legs of mine.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    No, I have them on both my knees (much more spread out than yours though!) and it almost looks as if I have two knees per leg! If it clicks and grinds whilst crouching, it's just extra cartilage. I have it, got it checked out, totally normal. It pains slightly but it's something I have to live with, though you can get surgery to scale it back if it really hurts.

Still, go see a GP, just to be on the safe side

ReputationRep:
    my diagnosis confirms that you actually have aids sorry :c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smd4std)
    my diagnosis confirms that you actually have aids sorry :c
    :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i do when i tense them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.