Is this site going to go "ken livingstone" on us..? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I see there's a thread about St Patrick's Day. Did you know he was British not Irish at all!!!
Anyway I hope that someone on the day other than myself will post a thread about St.George.
Most of us live in England anyway so it be a bit silly not to!
People only celebrate St Patrick's day because it means drinking excessive amounts of Guiness.
Does anybody else agree with me?

I hope Mr Livingstone pulls his finger out to do a St George's day parade seeing as London is in England. And that has St George as it's patron saint NOT St Patrick
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
People only celebrate St Patrick's day because it means drinking excessive amounts of Guiness.

My bf's mum was Irish so I have an excuse *ahem* I mean reason
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by blissy)
My bf's mum was Irish so I have an excuse *ahem* I mean reason
See that's fine but I know plenty of people celebrating when they have NO links to Ireland whatsoever. Wheras everybody in England is discouraged from celebrating their own saint's day. Apparently it offends people to be patriotic
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I see there's a thread about St Patrick's Day. Did you know he was British not Irish at all!!!
St Patrick
welsh actually, and st George wasnt English either.

love Katy ***
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by ickle_katy)

love Katy ***
Exactly! And I know that he was Palestinian wasn't he?
llama boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ah well, vote for the BNP and they'll be sure to ensure proper celebrations.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)

love Katy ***
St Patrick is though a very important part of Irish history.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by jammyd)
St Patrick is though a very important part of Irish history.
I'm not denouncing St Patrick I am merely saying we should celebrate our own saint's day in England
What's Chico Time Precious?
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not denouncing St Patrick I am merely saying we should celebrate our own saint's day in England
We do, most towns (mine at least) have a St. George's Day parade.
Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The truth is, most people aren't really that patriotic now unless they've got something to be proud of. People still support their country in the World Cup (if they're doing well), but most of the time it's not worth the bother.

I'd be a lot more attached to England if we hadn't gone to war, and if the country was run in a reasonable way. I will not follow a leader or be proud of my home country just because I'm told to.

Because I'm not patriotic myself and don't feel I have any ties to England, I feel no shame in having a Guinness on St Paddy's Day (my great grandparents were Irish - is this good enough?).
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Absolution)
We do, most towns (mine at least) have a St. George's Day parade.
Perhaps it depends where you live, in Northamptonshire we had some.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
The truth is, most people aren't really that patriotic now unless they've got something to be proud of. People still support their country in the World Cup (if they're doing well), but most of the time it's not worth the bother.

I'd be a lot more attached to England if we hadn't gone to war, and if the country was run in a reasonable way. I will not follow a leader or be proud of my home country just because I'm told to.

Because I'm not patriotic myself and don't feel I have any ties to England, I feel no shame in having a Guinness on St Paddy's Day (my great grandparents were Irish - is this good enough?).

so your government is totally different tangible to the abstract idea of your country.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Perhaps it depends where you live, in Northamptonshire we had some.
Exactly, you have the brass band, boys brigade, girl guides, rainbow club, and any other people who want to join in marching through the centre of town. Then if i remember rightly it all ends with a sing-song in the local church.

ps: where in Northamptonshire?
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
yes but London is the capital of ENGLAND not Ireland. So why do they have a St Patrick's day parade yet not a St George's day
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Absolution)
Exactly, you have the brass band, boys brigade, girl guides, rainbow club, and any other people who want to join in marching through the centre of town. Then if i remember rightly it all ends with a sing-song in the local church.

ps: where in Northamptonshire?
Kettering!
Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
so your government is totally different tangible to the abstract idea of your country.
I accept that they are different, but they are tied together. For instance, I couldn't tell a friend to move to England without warning them of the high house prices.

A country's government is supposed to represent it, so it does have an effect on the amount of pride you can have.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes but London is the capital of ENGLAND not Ireland. So why do they have a St Patrick's day parade yet not a St George's day
Its more of a catholic thing and England is prot
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Kettering!
i know it, been to the Leisure Village once or twice.

but are there St. David or St. Andrew marches?
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Its more of a catholic thing and England is prot
I live in a Catholic town and they banned all our parades...*******s gas leaks and stuff.

I'll go on my own personal parade on the 23rd...oh wait I'm working...damn
Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Anyway I hope that someone on the day other than myself will post a thread about St.George.
Most of us live in England anyway so it be a bit silly not to!

I hope Mr Livingstone pulls his finger out to do a St George's day parade seeing as London is in England. And that has St George as it's patron saint NOT St Patrick
Hang on, doesn't your 'location' equate England to Hell? Why should you celebrate your country's heritage if you hate the place so much?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

think I'm a brilliant applicant (524)
36.8%
are desperate for students (900)
63.2%

Watched Threads