Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BMI of 22.5 - called fat in the street. Watch

I have been insecure about my body for a long time, and my BMI has been a low of 17 and a high of 27 at this height. I've finally found a healthy relationship with food, and I am really upset by what happened today..

I was walking along and 3 young people behind me were loudly talking about how I reminded them of a girl they know except that i'm fatter than her, and that I could do with loosing some weight.

Do you guys thing 22.5 is fat and that I should loose some weight?

ReputationRep:
    BmI means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    So long as your happy, who gives a **** about some idiots in the street. Btw, your bmi is normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore those people don't take what they say personally let them talk their crap.

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore them. They're bullies and are probably insecure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just look your BMI up in the Internet. You'll find that it is perfectly normal and healthy. So I think you either misheard / misunderstood those 3 people, or they were just talking bull****.

ReputationRep:
    BMI really isn't accurate, it fails to account for things like larger frames, ect. If possible, get a body fat percentage.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been insecure about my body for a long time, and my BMI has been a low of 17 and a high of 27 at this height. I've finally found a healthy relationship with food, and I am really upset by what happened today..

I was walking along and 3 young people behind me were loudly talking about how I reminded them of a girl they know except that i'm fatter than her, and that I could do with loosing some weight.

I've said this before, but I will post it again...

BMI or Body Mass Index is a terrible way of seeing if you are overweight.

For example, if you take me, my BMI is 29.6. (http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/)

Standard BMI Categories:
    • Underweight = <18.5
    • Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
    • Overweight = 25–29.9
    • Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

So according to this I'm overweight and very nearly Obese. Now if you look at my profile picture I don't look Obese...

Remember BMI does not take Bone Mass Density and Muscle Mass into consideration, and according to this scale you are the normal weight.

ReputationRep:
    You're not fat.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your muscle is not enough so you look fat,you need to lift some weight

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.