Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which laptop brand would you recommend and advice against? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which laptop brands would you recommend and recommend against?
    Good: Acer
    25.93%
    Good: Asus
    51.85%
    Good: Apple Mac
    66.67%
    Good: Dell
    11.11%
    Good: HP
    22.22%
    Good: Lenovo
    48.15%
    Good: Toshiba
    22.22%
    Bad: Acer
    25.93%
    Bad: Asus
    7.41%
    Bad: Apple Mac
    22.22%
    Bad: Dell
    44.44%
    Bad: HP
    25.93%
    Bad: Lenovo
    7.41%
    Bad: Toshiba
    18.52%

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know which laptops people have been satisfied with and those which you would recommend against.

Please consider the laptop itself rather than the price.

ReputationRep:
    Any Lenovo would go with the 'for' category.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Any Lenovo would go with the 'for' category.
    I am currently looking to replace my Lenovo. I got one cause they have a good reputation, but a year and a half later mine has self destructed. Its hinges have prised the back part completely up exposing the interior and cracking the plastic. I have been very disappointed with my Lenovo G570. Still, on the whole the brand gets good feedback

ReputationRep:
    Generally advise against macs as I personally don't like the layout and customisability for what it costs, but if you're ok with those then sure go for one.

Dell is hard to go wrong with, and Acer make cheaper laptops (although with slightly worst specs)

ReputationRep:
    +1 for Lenovo.

There is a reason why Lenovo are the worlds top PC maker.
    Asus and Acer have improved a bit as well.

Dell have gone down hill recently.
    Apple are just ridiculously overpriced for what you get. They're not even a premium brand, theyre just a rip off brand now.

Edit: Samsung and Sony are good as well. Sony are a bit overpriced for what you get though.

ReputationRep:
    I have had two Acer laptops and I have broken the keys and frame on both of them. Operationally fine though.

ReputationRep:
    I hate apple but their laptops are probably the best in terms of quality albeit being overpriced

Sony vaio make good quality ones too which aren't too much worse than apple but for like half the price and are probably my favourite brand for laptops in terms if value for money

HP are a good shout too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KThackery)
    I would like to know which laptops people have been satisfied with and those which you would recommend against.

Please consider the laptop itself rather than the price.
    You forgot Samsung...................also I do recall certain Lenovo models having this hinge problem, your model is one of them

ReputationRep:
    Any of the Lenovo Thinkpad range (I'm on a T61, I've heard good things about IBM (and then Lenovo) through their history) get the absolute +++ from me.

I'd probably avoid a Dell laptop in all honesty. That's just by reputation really - I've never encountered problems with their desktops though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    You forgot Samsung...................also I do recall certain Lenovo models having this hinge problem, your model is one of them
    And Sony. Can't forget our friends over in Japan.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very much a Mac user, but they're definitely not the most cost-effective brand. Lenovo and Asus are my go-to recommendations for Windows based machines, consistently high quality stuff coming out of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    +1 for Lenovo.

There is a reason why Lenovo are the worlds top PC maker.
    Asus and Acer have improved a bit as well.

Dell have gone down hill recently.
    Apple are just ridiculously overpriced for what you get. They're not even a premium brand, theyre just a rip off brand now.

Edit: Samsung and Sony are good as well. Sony are a bit overpriced for what you get though.
    Pretty much on par here, but I would definitely rate Dell >> Acer.

ReputationRep:
    If they were on there, I'd recommend Samsung (that's what my laptop is and the only problems I've had with it have been entirely my own fault) and Sony. Dell are also half-decent but I can't remove from my head my image of them as always making big 1990s tower PCs, all in beige. Not owned an Asus or Acer myself, but I've heard that they're more style than substance, and I'd echo what people have said about Macs - they're excellent pieces of technology but even for that they're ridiculously overpriced. You could get a mid-range gaming desktop for the same price as a bottom-end Macbook, which is ludicrous.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.