The Ultimate "I need help for an exam" thread Watch

Cataclysm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Mirroring brimstone's thread on how your exam went; this thread allows everyone to ask for help and give help to others. It saves time as every looks here for help and all the questions are here, it will be particularly useful "the night before" the exam.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OK, first up:

How to structure a 'themes' essay, in Eng Lit, without it sounding like a list of examples? Urgent!
Cataclysm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
When you are talking about themes; you can't just say (as you mention) an endless list; it would better to have a paragraph or two on the major themes like in "Of Mice and Men" the major themes are that of loneliness and friendship and 'The American Dream' -- a good answer will focus on the major themes whilst making sure that other themes exist as well but a few are more dominant. Spend more time on the major themes and show their relevance like examples in the text, etc.

In the end, it will sound a bit like a list but if you paragraph well you can avoid that to a certain degree all you can do is just explain and justify your point.

Good luck!
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cataclysm)
When you are talking about themes; you can't just say (as you mention) an endless list; it would better to have a paragraph or two on the major themes like in "Of Mice and Men" the major themes are that of loneliness and friendship and 'The American Dream' -- a good answer will focus on the major themes whilst making sure that other themes exist as well but a few are more dominant. Spend more time on the major themes and show their relevance like examples in the text, etc.

In the end, it will sound a bit like a list but if you paragraph well you can avoid that to a certain degree all you can do is just explain and justify your point.

Good luck!
Thanks Also, when it's a specific themes question (e.g. how is the theme of courage portrayed in the play etc), do you think the best approach is again, give examples, but develop only some of them?
brimstone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:eek:
Thread stealer! :p:
Although this could be very helpful
adorkable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In literature (AQA) if im refering to a story with quite along title like "superman and paula Browns new snowsuit" do i have to write the title like that all the time or can i just write something like "superman" when refering to the title to save time.

(sorry if this doesnt make sense im just really nervous right now)
no1mohsin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I need to revise in this coming week or two for my Edexcel History (Rise + Fall of Soviet Union; USA; Nazi Germany and Russian Civil War stuff). Any tips on where to start, how to structure etc?

Also need to revise for science. Same questions as above. Cheers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed