URGENT HELP ON: Differentiability and continuity Watch

lauzy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey!

Is it possible to find a function which is differentiable at 0 and not continuous at 0?
And is it possible to find a function which is differentiable at 0 and not continuous at 1?

I know that differentiability implies continuity so it wouldn't be possiblt to be diff at 0 and cont at 0 but what about the second q? Does diff only imply continuity if its at the same point?

TheDuck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For the second xsin(1/(x-1))

(edited)
jpowell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
1) No, differentiability at a point implies continuity, if a function is not continuous at x0 then it is not differentiable at x0.

2) Of course, define a function that is a from -inf to 1 and b from 1 to inf a not equal to b.... that is differentiable at 0, and not continuous at 1.

Differentiability and continuity are local properties of functions, i.e. differentiability at x0 implies nothing about x1, and vice versa.
Wrangler
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Obviously if a function is differentiable at a point then it must be continuous there. Your second question is strange - you want to know if there exist functions that are differentiable at zero and discontinuous at 1? Well, just take your favourite function that happens to be differentiable at 0 and insert a discontinuity at 1.

Do you perhaps want to know about functions that are differentiable at a point, that the derivative is discontinuous there?
lauzy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Oh I see so u could use for example the function that theduck suggested would be diff at 0 and not cont at 1, cool thanks guys
Christo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Wrangler)
Obviously if a function is differentiable at a point then it must be continuous there. Your second question is strange - you want to know if there exist functions that are differentiable at zero and discontinuous at 1? Well, just take your favourite function that happens to be differentiable at 0 and insert a discontinuity at 1.

Do you perhaps want to know about functions that are differentiable at a point, that the derivative is discontinuous there?
Just like a lecturer! They're always telling me to take my favourite positive integer or somesuch thing..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (255)
38.93%
No - but I will (45)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.18%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.02%

Watched Threads