Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm still unsure of which to apply to. Is anyone on one of these courses and could give positives and negatives?

Also is PPE seen as an 'easy' degree compared to others such as Chemistry or Classics?

I didn't really revise at GCSE and got 2A* 6A and 3B but I'm on course to get 4 As in my AS exams this year. I'm trying to make up for my GCSE grades with extra-curricular activities and work experience if that's relevant.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably better located in the Oxbridge section, as your questions are specific to those universities.

What A levels are you doing?

For an Oxford applicant, your GCSEs are pretty low, but not disastrous. How do they compare to the rest of your school? Also, Oxford and Cambridge tend to care less about extra curriculars/work experience for courses like PPE/Economics. Work experience isn't going to be that relevant, and they would much rather see academic interest and achievement over extra-curricular achievement.

I'm a PPE applicant myself so I may be biased, but I don't think it's seen as an easy degree, no. It's difficult to get in to (just over 14% application rate, making it one of the most competitive), and the workload is meant to be large.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicmuggle)
    This is probably better located in the Oxbridge section, as your questions are specific to those universities.

What A levels are you doing?

For an Oxford applicant, your GCSEs are pretty low, but not disastrous. How do they compare to the rest of your school? Also, Oxford and Cambridge tend to care less about extra curriculars/work experience for courses like PPE/Economics. Work experience isn't going to be that relevant, and they would much rather see academic interest and achievement over extra-curricular achievement.

I'm a PPE applicant myself so I may be biased, but I don't think it's seen as an easy degree, no. It's difficult to get in to (just over 14% application rate, making it one of the most competitive), and the workload is meant to be large.
    Sorry, I'm relatively new so I didn't really know where to put it.

I'm doing Maths Stats, History, Economics and Biology. I think my GCSEs are above average for my school but there still not what I would have liked.

Having looked at both courses and both universities (not open-days yet) I think I prefer the look of PPE because I'm interested in all three branches and it just generally looks great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benevansben)

I'm doing Maths Stats, History, Economics and Biology. I think my GCSEs are above average for my school but there still not what I would have liked.

Having looked at both courses and both universities (not open-days yet) I think I prefer the look of PPE because I'm interested in all three branches and it just generally looks great.
    You've got good subjects for PPE there. If they're above average that gives you a slightly better chance. If you're worried about them, Cambridge is probably a better bet. However, Cambridge economics is incredibly maths based. With Maths stats, and no further maths, your chances would be really quite small. With that in mind, PPE is probably a better bet for you, which is good if you're leaning towards it!

ReputationRep:
    Go to Cammy, we laugh in the face of oxford here.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuLLuPMepOrtION)
    Go to Cammy, we laugh in the face of oxford here.
    Strange - we do the same thing here at Ox. How perplexing. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benevansben)

There is a strong maths element at Oxford as well, but possibly not (from all that I hear) as intense as in Cambs Econ. If your heart says PPE, apply for PPE and follow your ambitions. Your GCSE scores are a factor, but far from the only factor, as I'm sure you know. Have you selected possible colleges yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    lol you peasant.

ReputationRep:
    What, at Oxford you laugh in the face of Oxford? Seems like an odd thing to do, are you sure it's not just you?

ReputationRep:
    There is a strong maths element at Oxford as well, but possibly not (from all that I hear) as intense as in Cambs Econ. If your heart says PPE, apply for PPE and follow your ambitions. Your GCSE scores are a factor, but far from the only factor, as I'm sure you know. Have you selected possible colleges yet?
    I'm leaning towards Trinity College at the moment because I like its location but I'm looking at Baliol and Brasenose too. I'm not really sure though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as Oxbridge, there is only Oxford, but not everyone is good enough to get in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    What, at Oxford you laugh in the face of Oxford? Seems like an odd thing to do, are you sure it's not just you?
    Haha, yes, we laugh at PPE and smirk at the Sheldonian and we are mirthful at the very name of the Bod.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.