Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What happens when you've experienced more than most? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 years old, yet I feel i've experienced more than my friends (at very least) most people i've met, and my demographic in general.

See, I don't mind that, what I do mind is it's harder for me to interect, it's harder for me to be honest. I've got repeated domestic violence that I remember since I was around 3, that wasn't from my dad, I've got sexual abuse, i've got depression etc. All on my card. But I don't care, I just wanna try and fit in. But it's hard.

I predict outcomes before they happen, I'll imagine every bad outcome. Every scenario.

I'm sick of it, id rather be ignorant than expect bad, I want to think more positive.

I know that it's all a state of mind. That I can change. But the world we live in is such an untrusting one, how do we shift focus?

ReputationRep:
    Your view on the world is a hard focus to shift but it's not impossible. Do things that make you happy. Meet people that make you happy and you will naturally forget about all the crap bits of life and live for things that are worth living for

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite like that, not through experiencing a lot early on, just by being a bit older. People do tend to become more cynical and mistrusting with age, just by accumulating more bad experiences, and you've acquired these earlier than most people.

I don't think it's a wholly bad thing. Half the time it's actually quite useful. But obviously it's not ideal to always be like that, and I think the only way to change it is by having and appreciating positive experiences, in the same way that your present view has been shaped by negative ones, so your future view might be shaped by both positive and negative ones. This is obviously easier said than done, but I tend to find that remembering positives, and giving them adequate attention, is half the battle (we generally remember negatives far easier than positives, and inflate the importance of negatives). That works for me anyway.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever suggested cognitive behavioural therapy for you, OP? There are long NHS waiting lists but it might be worth looking into :yes:

ReputationRep:
    OP I can completely understand you. I am turning 21 in 3 months time and by the time I was 16 I had been adopted, physically, mentally and sexually abused and then had the misfortune to loose a parent to a rapid illness during my GCSEs. It's a lot to deal with in such a short amount of time. I found psychodynamic counselling worked for me to be able to understand why I feel the way I do about the world and understand that these issues do not define me and my future. It's sadly something that will never go away completely but you can work with therapy to help to adjust and understand your views on the world more. I wish you all the luck in your future.

ReputationRep:
    I understand you OP. I can relate to some of your experiences. I've got anxiety and depression at the moment, been hit by my dad when I was younger constantly, problems in school etc. I just ignore everything and I tend to shut everyone out because I think it's easier. I have my friends to talk to but sometimes I e joy my own company. Just don't give up and carry on.

Inbox me if you ever want a chat or something. Always up for that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.