Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who don't/didn't live in London, what are your views about moving in London to take an accountancy or tax role?

I'm not from London and the prices for everything seem quite steep to me. I've applied for a few places in London, and have interviews for a few but I'm a bit unsure. Am i going to be able to realistically survive in London on a trainee salary if I have to rent my own place? etc.

If it was a job in banking, I'd probably jump right in there, but with accountancy, I feel that I'd be putting myself in a financially difficult situation.

Don't get me wrong, I really like London. But living/working there might be a bit much....

Am I just overthinking this a bit?
    Anyone here moved to London and loved/loathed it?

ReputationRep:
    It's not that expensive, can easily survive on trainee accountant money.

It's all relative, live within your means and you will be fine. Even the bankers have to sensible, 50k a year disappears very quickly when you're spending over 1k a month on rent, exclusively shopping at Waitrose, buying lunch every day and going out every night.

There are people who survive on around 18k, the 27k you're likely to get should be more than enough to rent comfortably in zone 1-2, or further out if you want to save even more money.

The only thing about London is that it can be lonely, so try to get in touch with any friends you have there.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what size firm, outside the top 20 or so the first year might be 'harder' but still perfectly liveable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lily_2012)
    For those of you who don't/didn't live in London, what are your views about moving in London to take an accountancy or tax role?

I'm not from London and the prices for everything seem quite steep to me. I've applied for a few places in London, and have interviews for a few but I'm a bit unsure. Am i going to be able to realistically survive in London on a trainee salary if I have to rent my own place? etc.

If it was a job in banking, I'd probably jump right in there, but with accountancy, I feel that I'd be putting myself in a financially difficult situation.

Don't get me wrong, I really like London. But living/working there might be a bit much....

Am I just overthinking this a bit?
    Anyone here moved to London and loved/loathed it?
    You don't have to rent your own place (i.e. apartment). You can just get a room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    You don't have to rent your own place (i.e. apartment). You can just get a room.
    hey effofex, can you clear some space in your PM box?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkolman)
    hey effofex, can you clear some space in your PM box?
    done

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.